• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923A2 Solargizer hook up to 4x 6TMF

Alexsha

I have a 4 battery setup in my M923A2 and a Solargizer is already installed, but not hooked up to the batteries. I haven't been able to find a manual for the Solargizer so what leads are the correct ones to hook up to for proper function?

IMG_20140707_110853.jpg

painter paul

The military just uses one Solargizer on the trucks I have seen. Just hook the black wire to the chassis ground and the red to the 24v hot going to the engine. The Solargizers are basically the same, just some have bigger solar panels and work faster than the older ones. thanks, Paul

Hawssie

You can hook the Solargizer up to the batteries directly if thats more convenient. I know this is known by most people but for those confused, The 4 battery system works as follows. The first 2 of the 4 batteries are wired in series to make one 24V "battery" made up of 2 of the 12v batteries. Then the next 2 12v batteries are also wired together in series making another 24v battery source. Now you have 2 separate 24v sources of power. These in turn are wired in parallel by connecting the two left over neg terminals together and the leftover pos together to make one even larger 24v source. This is the source that powers the truck's 24v system. That is why you can use on Solargizer to essentially charge all 4 batteries. You can identify the 24v source as the inter vehicle jumper plug is wired to them as well as the starter. Series wiring in this case with the 2 12v batteries making one 24v is done by just taking the pos terminal of the first 12v battery and connecting it to the neg terminal of the second battery, and then using the one leftover pos and the one leftover neg terminal as a source of 24v, neg terminal going to ground, pos going to 24v load.

pmramsey

Good job on the explanation...I started to say it but told myself...just leave it alone.

Hawssie

Thanks! I know it can be confusing for some who are not familiar whats going on. Old news to most.
I have found the M1070 system to be even more challenging. Along with the system above it is also sourcing 12v power from two of the four 12 volt batteries and charging them both with a dedicated 12v alternator. While this is going on these 2 batteries are also being charged with the 24v alternator, along with the other 2 batteries through the series connections.

SoylentGreen

I just plug mine into the slave recepticle. Seems to work fine.
Oops, my bad. I see yours is installed on your truck. Mine is mounted on a pole where I park my truck.

Last edited:

Alexsha

I just plug mine into the slave recepticle. Seems to work fine.
Oops, my bad. I see yours is installed on your truck. Mine is mounted on a pole where I park my truck.
Basically, if you're hooked to the slave plug, you're plugging your Solargizer into the bottom left and top right lugs from my original picture. Makes sense. How well does it keep the charge up?

Zadvark

Let's dig this one up again. On a 4 battery setup in a 5-ton (M932), did we decide on either one or two solargizers are required? Couldn't exactly find a TM that makes a recommendation.

painter paul

Depends on what you want. The older units are smaller, 2 would definitely be better, the big newer panels will do 4 batteries by themselves. They won't by any means put out so much to be hard on a battery. In other words it's not like putting on a shop charger turned up to max. But for a vehicle with less than daily driving they work fine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks