• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923A2 Tranny Problem

MontanaJim

Hey Guys!
I purchased an M923A2 last week and I have yet to actually see it. LOL!! However, Jeff (in Sparta, WI) has taken good care of me by picking it up for me. That said, he informed me of a problem with the Transmission. According to Jeff, it will shift and run in gears 1-5 without a problem. However, once it is in 5th gear, it won't "lock in" and settle down and run. It continues to over-rev. Additionally, when it goes into reverse, it just "creeps" back. There is no power in reverse.

Anyone have some thoughts?
Thanks!

Jim

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Jeff knows what he is doing working on these trucks is what he does for a living. What did he recommend? How does the fluid look and smell?

MontanaJim

He didn't have much of an idea as to what the problem could be. I'm trying to get some ideas so he doesn't have to play hit/miss with it. It's a busy week for him too.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Although I don't have a tremendous amount of experience with the military truck trans I have done trans stuff in muscle cars and such and an automatic transmission is an automatic transmission. You need to find out what the fluid looks like. It's hard to diagnose from afar without more info. The trans may need a rebuild. I am not sure if 5th gear and reverse need a little more fluid pressure it could be a torque converter issue. If it was me I would drop the pan look at the filter. If the filter was gunked up then change that, the spin on filter and the fluid and see what happens. If the fluid is burnt and brown and there is metal or other material in the filter and pan then it's probably going to need a transmission. I think Jeff does more pm and field repairs than engine and trans swaps. Montana is pretty far I wouldn't risk the drive in it put it to bid on uship it does run and drive or at least it should drive onto a flat deck. Ask Jeff to see what the fluid looks like and report back.

Last edited:

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
You can look at the uship bids don't waste your time with brokers but actual shippers especially with small guys you can google their dot number it's in their uship info and you can find direct contact info and call them work a cash deal. WI to MT for 2k doesn't seem that bad I just paid 1600 for a m931 from MI to CT it was 760 miles or so. It is what it is if you add up the cost of a plane ticket to sparta it's expensive it's a small airport the cheapest I could find from a major NY airport to there was 700 bucks and the absolute best you will get is 10 miles a gallon driving the truck it's 4 bucks a gallon for diesel plus the cost of food and a place to sleep if you stop for the night it adds up fast.