• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923A2 Transfer case no engagement.

Plane Fast

Well I decided to tackle my transfer case lack of engagement. I started by doing the TM test for the transfer case control switch. Well I had no power at lead 585 or 586. To make sure the button was working, I just disconnected the switch and did a continuity test (with the button held in). It was good. So I moved on to the next test, checking for voltage at the fire wall CB. It has you test lead 37. I did have voltage there. I then now had to trace the lead from the handle to the fire wall to see why I had no power.

The leads going to the diode did not have power. I traced it all the way to the fire wall harness. No power. Lead 585 went into the wrapped harness. So I could go no further. I did notice that lead 587 was next to it, and it was capped off. I tested it and it did have 24volts. So looking at one of the wire diagrams, it showed 587 powering the transmission control switch. Which turns into 585. Looks like 587 gets it's power from 37. So is it possible that the leads should be switched? The 585 lead goes past 587, all the way into the firewall. I would seem unnecessary to have 585 go that far just to use 587.

Well any how. I tried it with 587 hooked up, and it worked. Transfer case worked as it should. The interlock solenoid valve was a little stiff. But it got better with working the system. So now I'm not sure what to do. Leave it as is, or go back to how it was hooked up before. (And do some more digging)

The last photo shows the location of the 587 and 585 connections.

Attachments

Last edited:

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have found that some trucks need the transmission shifter cable adjusted to ensure power gets through the switch on the shifter. It sounds like the problem you are experiencing. The indicator on the shifter should line up exactly with the "N" when in neutral or power will not be fed to the transfer case button.

There is no adjustment within the shift tower. It is adjusted at the transmission end.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now you just have to crawl under the truck and adjust the cable so it always lands in the sweet spot when in neutral. Pull a cotter pin, pull a clevis pin, adjust length to suit, reassemble in reverse order.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
If I jumped out my pcb. Completely bypassed it( it was bad) would this cause my transfer case not to engage? It won't do ANYTHING. Any ideas?
wont do anything in what description? Like truck wont move or truck wont come out of high or what?

There is a wire to the top solenoid on the transfer case that goes to the capacitor that is attached to the floor of the cab above the transmission. It also runs to the Neutral safety switch and the parking brake valve. It does run to the PCM so it gets some type of powerfeed to all of those wires... The wire number at the transfer case is a 568.

If you need a PCM contact Fuzzytoaster. I think he has a few. It always good to have a spare laying around.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Won't do anything as in it's in high, but won't shift into low ( pushing the button on the lever doesn't release air in the stack) looked it all over but it might be the pcm or lack thereof.
Run the truck to full air capacity. Turn it off. Switch on both switches. Do not start it. Listen for a noise when u push the switch on the lever. If no noise then it is not allowing the interlock sleeve to disengage. Its the valve on the top of the transfer case. Four 7/16 bolts. See if the flap seal on the round cylinder is broken.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks