• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923A2 Transmission Fluid

Iggy913

I've searched and searched and know what the TM says, but I can't find any OE/HDO 10 weight oil in the Virginia Beach area. My trans has been working fine but I haven't changed it or the filters since I got the MV last year. I've read SO MUCH on Dextron III, and the Allison equivalent my eyes are crossed. Can I get some help and recommendations.
Thanks for your inputs.

Carlo

If your going to be using the truck as it was designed use the oil specified in the TM but most of us use the light duty and Dex3 works fine. It even evens out the harsh shift up and down. I use it on all my 900 series trucks.

jedawson1

Hydraulic fluid in mine, smoothed out the 2 to 1 down shift except when its real cold. There are several viable options and many opinions for each. The TM is always the safe bet.

Last edited:

Iggy913

Ray,
Have you had a seal or leaks when you put in that oil? Just don't want to ruin a good thing. The only problem if you can call it a problem is the hard downshift from 2nd to 1st. Otherwise it's been shifting fine but I just want to do some PM and can't find the 10 weight oil in VA beach area.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Look for a Petroleum supplier in your area and they should have it. I use Arizona Petroleum here in AZ.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ray,
Have you had a seal or leaks when you put in that oil? Just don't want to ruin a good thing. The only problem if you can call it a problem is the hard downshift from 2nd to 1st. Otherwise it's been shifting fine but I just want to do some PM and can't find the 10 weight oil in VA beach area.
Why would a seal leak? It meets the Allison spec. I have the Allison 654CR transmission, if yours is different then disregard what I said.

NYC M923A2

Sine this topic came up what it the advantages of switching the trans over to auto trans fluid? I would have to drain the system and replace the filters to do it. My truck was rebuilt in 2012 and it's the last service I have left to do. I already flushed the cooling system, motor oil changed, fuel filters changed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks