• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923A2 trip from Indy to VA

jeffkerschner

I recently won a 5 ton from GL in Indy. I had Mr. Bob Rainville check it over and sell me a few nice accessories while I was there. #1- I completely and wholeheartedly recommend anyone who buys from Indy to pay Mr. Bob to have a look, and enlist his help!!! #2- these old trucks are fantastic in a lot of ways, but the back is still very sore from driving 500 miles. #3- plan on having old vets hoist their young children or grandchildren up into the cab when you stop for fuel. One of the very best things that happened during the trip. #4- Look out for the patriotic public to wave and salute a lot. Be sure to recognize them and smile/wave back. Costs us nothing, but they get a huge kick from it. The truck made it with only one stop at a truck tire shop before I left (Pomps Tire, Indy) to pump up the low tires, and a few temp reading stops with an infrared pyrometer to make sure the brakes, bearings, and other sensitive items weren't dragging or running too hot. Thanks to all for offered advice and even a few phone numbers of gentlemen who offered their help along the way if I had issues. Included is a pic my dear wife took the next morning at 0630 after I got home and kept her up all night with my snoring. She loves the truck too!

IMG_0431[1].jpg

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That must have been a trip with a lot of ups and downs :grin:. Any problems with the mountains or stupid drivers? Loved SWVA when I lived there! Welcome to the 5-ton club - what a way to jump in with both feet!

davo727

Glad you got er home.

My last little 200 mile trip in my second 923 it seemed to me that 99.9999 % of people were completely oblivious of the 22,000 lb truck. Maybe because of the Camo - they couldn't see it ?

61sleepercab

Glad you had a safe trip. Bob R is a nice guy and handy to preview long distance purchases. He helped me with my combo M925a2 pulling a purchased 15 kw generator from Indy to Charleston West Virginia.
Most people are nice on the road and seem to give you lots of room for a 5 ton to rumble through. Hope you have fun with your king size tonka toy. Mark

jeffkerschner

Hi Henry,

We live in Floyd, so we're really close! I'm very happy to know there's another crazy guy like me around these mountains. Give me a shout if I can ever be a help to you.

pevrs114

Good to know there's a bunch of folks in SWVA. I live in central VA right now, but after I graduate I am thinking of moving to the Roanoke area. I am in Roanoke about 2-3 times a week. My grandparents have a place just outside of Hillsville, which I gather isn't far from Bjorn/Cranetruck either.

Sorry for resurrecting a Zombie thread!

ETA - Drove through Floyd yesterday (4/10/16), going from Cave Spring area of ROCO to Dugspur. Very cool looking county; we stopped briefly at the stoplight in Floyd, and ducked into the little "mall", with the two bars in it. I'll definitely be heading back through there soon!

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks