• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923a2 weak point.

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
I was real surprised just how much even small trees want to stay in the ground, I used the boom lift on my M936 to pull a couple Bradford pear trees straight out of the ground, they were less than 6" in diameter and I had to put the rear outriggers down to keep from lifting the front tires off the ground. I just put tension on them and waited for it to start to move then added more tension and waited, ect.ect.

crasheej

I see the same thing all the time here with my help. They want to use a chain that is to small for the job. Then they get mad when I tell them to get one of the bigger ones because they weigh so much more. My answer is tuff. Any way use a chain bigger then what think you need.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Food for thought, ever see a tree company using a truck to yank out a stump?

If it was a good idea, don't you think millions of truckers would pull stumps, while waiting for loads to haul?

maxtor

On to plan C

Plan A was to use a chain and M923a2 and pull out tree stumps. :tank:
Some on this forum said I would break the chain. So

Plan B was to use steal cable and M923a2 and pull out tree stumps. :driver:
Now I have two "halves" of a steal cable.
On to plan C

Plan C , find a stump grinder.:roll:

Triple C

Wow, how about more info on how you came to have two halves of a cable? Where you using the winch? What size cable etc..... More info please.

Ooops, just realized you were using a 923! Scratch the winch part but still interested on what happened.

F18hornetM

Tree stumps are unreal to pull out sometimes. I like the push over whole tree with excavator method!!! 8) I'm sure you know if going to pull out need to do a lot of digging and cutting roots.

jw4x4

I have extensive experience in clearing tree stumps. Heavy equipment or a stump grinder are the only way to go. I know there are isolated circumstances where they can be pulled (I admit to pulling a couple myself) but it seems as though stumps are way tougher than they appear. Save the chains and cables, avoid potential danger and injury (or worse), and do it the right way. You'll likely be far better off.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
923s were desiged to haul cargo, stump grinders are designed to remove stumps. Good experiment. A+B=C

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I am surprised the rope is what failed-I figured there were a whole host of things that would go first.

Was the rope flawed? Rusty, kinked, flattened, etc.?

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I was pulling trees with my deuce winch and they hang up it was always the chain or strap that failed. I tried to pull a stump and it was the shear pin that failed. I don't think your ever going to hurt the tuck unless its a weak tree and falls on truck.you just can't the traction.Maybe a truck with full lockers on good ground you might twist a drive shaft.

dmetalmiki

A large shovel would be a nice way to go.....on the front of a buldozer! (or similar)..like triple C I would like to know what broke and how exactly..hope NO ONE was standing in the imediate vicinity when the breakage occurred though..santex works wonders with about the same danger.

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I usually don't have any problem pulling stumps because I leave about 6 feet of stump to use as a lever and I do the pulling after a good soaking rain. The long lever just pops it right out. It takes longer to hook up and untie the stump than to pull out.

I just use my little M-37. I don't own any monster trucks.

Storm 51

maxtor

It was a near new 3/8 inch steal cable. It broke in half in the middle of the cable. The cable just snapped. Of course, no one was around and I was in the cab of the truck. No safety issues here. Where the stumps are, I am unable to push them, just pull on them. Like I said before, I will find a stump grinder and do plan C. This experiment proved that the truck and stump are stronger than the chain or cable. Now if I had a loggers cable or chain, 1/2 inch or larger, maybe it would work, but since I don't, plan C will be implemented.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks