• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923A2 Won't start... All the lights work though!

crolfe1984

If it happens again and the gauges don't work, turn the fan on to high and see if it works. The high setting is 24v and runs through the PCB and the low setting is 12v and doesn't run through the PCB. If it doesn't work on high but does work on low and your gauges are not working then I'd be looking at the PCB.
VERY interesting... Indeed my lower blower works, but high does not. I have an undiagnosed ABS fault so the light is on (which is my next project to tackle). As far as the ABS is concerned it does not even self check so its either a bad ECU or its not getting power at all. I can tell you already it's not a loose connection.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My ABS wouldn't self check either. I think it detects low voltage and just throws the light.

My PCB would appear to work fine sometimes, as in letting you crank the truck, but apparently would stop charging sometimes while the truck was running. This led to the batteries eventually draining. One morning it didn't have enough battery power to crank the truck. I charged the batteries, fired it up and the ABS light went away...until the batteries eventually ran down again. Replacing the PCB fixed all my problems...the fan, the ABS, the charging and the starting.

Porkysplace is right...a little over 24v is low.

crolfe1984

I may just bite the bullet and pick up a new PCB. Replacing it might make a few of my electrical issues disappear. I'd rather do that then replace four 6TL batteries.

crolfe1984

That's brilliant. When I make up my road-ready tool kit I'll be sure to have a section of 4-8 copper wire.

Out of curiosity, what tool did you use to get that giant castle nut off? Haven't removed mine yet, but I'm guessing a pair of channellocks will do it.

Tornadogt

That's brilliant. When I make up my road-ready tool kit I'll be sure to have a section of 4-8 copper wire.

Out of curiosity, what tool did you use to get that giant castle nut off? Haven't removed mine yet, but I'm guessing a pair of channellocks will do it.
I used Channellocks

paintman

my issue with my m923a2 1990 model is i go forge deep water with mine, usually not into the cab but over front fenders... never gave me an issue till today... went to start, turned on battery switch, check... turn on starter switch, check... buzzers and gages show power.... hit starter switch... motor turns but doesnt fire....sounds strong, noticed when i release starter switch, she keeps turning over till i switch both switches off....never had this issue before. i also went from having c.t.i.s. with a single light to all lights flashing at same time shortly after she starts up and builds air pressure....any suggestions

paintman

i got it running by tapping the pcs with a wrench so if it happens again, how much and were do i get one.... still issue with the a.t.i.s. all lights are flashing at once and abs light has been on since i got the 5 ton

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i got it running by tapping the pcs with a wrench so if it happens again, how much and were do i get one.... still issue with the a.t.i.s. all lights are flashing at once and abs light has been on since i got the 5 ton
My recommendation as they are an oe source for the Protective control box is Southern Automotive as they are reasonable and will sell direct. I think you will find a new one there for close what others sell used ones.
http://southernautomotive.com/catalog/index.php

For the abs, there are many threads on it but there is 2 automotive mini ato fuses in the harness. Check em out. If fuses good, then you need to run the abs codes to determine what critter is the problem. Again many good threads in the 5 ton forum.

I have zero experience with ctis but many threads on that here. Search is your friend :)

crolfe1984

As an update I have 100% confirmed that my PCB is on the fritz. Every other time now requires a thorough thumping to get it to "click over" so the truck can be started. Once the weather warms up I'll get one ordered and replace it. Then I'll tackle the ABS fault. I've got to say though that despite this one issue the M923A2 has been an awesome truck to have this winter.

Mquirin

Where is the pcb located on the m35a3? I put in new batteries, but have no headlights and only a click at the firewall. Could this be a bad power switch?

Ajax MD

Where is the pcb located on the m35a3? I put in new batteries, but have no headlights and only a click at the firewall. Could this be a bad power switch?

I believe it's on the firewall in front of the driver, under the hood.

Ajax MD

Oh shoot, you're in the 5 ton forum. Ask the question in the deuce and a half forum. Someone will know.

I've driven the M35A3... when they were new!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks