• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923a2

bobbed_1971

Hey Guys this may be a dumb question I'm looking at a m23a2 being that it has air brakes do I need a cdl to drive it I'm not sure I know you do if it's commercial.The m923a2s look cool and I'm thinking about getting one I want a 5 ton truck and there just cool I love my bobber tho just want a 5 ton now

Wes

smoke

you will provably need a class B with air brake endorsment. anything with a gross vechile weight of 26001 pounds or greater and not towing more than 10000 pounds you need class b lic. When you tow more then 10000 you need class A. 2cents

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
They are not bad trucks but the transmissions will drive you crazy when they up/downshift....usually slamming into gear. And they make a funny noise going down the road.....kind of a mechanical popping racket.

Remember that everything on a 5 ton is heavier....everytime I think I want another one I just go out in the yard and move that spare brake drum about 25 feet....that usually kills the urge for a few months.

I would also reccommend the turbo version....the ones I drove were NA and would not pull the hat off your head.

Just my dos centavos.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are not bad trucks but the transmissions will drive you crazy when they up/downshift....usually slamming into gear. And they make a funny noise going down the road.....kind of a mechanical popping racket.

Remember that everything on a 5 ton is heavier....everytime I think I want another one I just go out in the yard and move that spare brake drum about 25 feet....that usually kills the urge for a few months.

I would also reccommend the turbo version....the ones I drove were NA and would not pull the hat off your head.

Just my dos centavos.
Mechanical popping racket? Are you confusing it with the CAT 7155 transmission? I own six M939 series trucks and have owned others. I've literally put thousands of miles on them and I never noticed any particularly wierd sounds. This would be especially apparent in the A2s since they are so quiet in the cab.

For the guys who are after the A2s, I suggest you drive one. While I like them better, they are sluggish off the line as compared to the NHC-250 powered trucks. When you hit the throttle, it is almost like they don't want to go for a second or two. I don't mean that you are sitting still, but there is no real power from a dead stop. Once the turbo gets spooled up, you have more power. I have an M923 with a new (made in 10/08) NHC-250 that pulls stronger than any 6CTA that I've ever owned or driven. You punch the pedal and the truck lurches. Here are my pros and cons on the A2:

Pros
*quiet
*newer (made from 1989 until 1992)
*more modern and efficient engine
*CTIS, IF it works
*super singles (would be the same on the A1s, but not the original M939 series with the 1100s)

Cons
*quiet (some guys want a truck to sound like a violated bear...this ain't the motor for that)
*fuel filters...one small inline and one small spin on...susceptible to clogging
*some parts (air intake and exhaust coming off of the turbo, among others) are A2 specific...while you probably won't need to replace them, you will have a heck of a time finding them if you do
*CTIS almost never works...terrible design

engineersta050

923 shifting

i agree with bkubu. I own 2 m923a1's and neither one makes a funny noise. One shifts smoother then the other, but no funny noises. if you like driving a m35a2 you will love driving a 923. I still own 3 2.5 tons but hardly drive them now that i have the 923's. Hope this helps you in your decision on buying one.