• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923a2no reverse when in low range

Hoefler

Trucks runs and shifts perfect, except when in low range. Put it in low with front end locked in. Had to back up a bit to make a sharp turn, but found while in low range, the truck would not go in reverse. It feels like something is preventing shift arm from traveling.
When I put the truck in high range, and regained full shifter range. My truck has painted stencils on each door warning to not put truck in reverse while in low range. While I am aware of the transfer case weakness, reversing with no load other than simply moving truck in reverse on flat ground would not be adding any more force into transfer case as compared to low rpm while reversing in high range.
so, two things- never ever reverse in low range? Has anybody else experienced no reverse while in low range?
My A0 does not do this.
pete

Gunzy

I believe there is a lock out to prevent reverse in low range. Mine will not go into reverse in low either and it is a '84 m923(A0) also. I do think it is a safety feature that can be bypassed.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A lot of drivers ignored the speed data plate warnings and a lot of transfer cases needed replacement. Many trucks were then modified to prevent rev. in low. There is a updated trans linkage kit available. I'll try to find the number for the kit.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just have to add, have you ever read the -10TM?

Attachments

Last edited:

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The problem with running a truck in "judgement zone" territory like this is, you will never know when the design limit is reached until its too late. Think of it like stretching out one of those little springs in a click-pen. Pull a little further each time and it springs back, then all of a sudden it doesn't. You couldn't tell that you were crossing the treshold until it was too late. Although it seems like an easy move would have no consequences, if you never push the "line" you can never have one of "those" moments. If you need to move it in low-reverse, but don't need the front drive, bypass the front axle auto-lock and disengage the front axle. VERY easy to do.

Hoefler

Just have to add, have you ever read the -10TM?
Yes I have read-most-of the TM's on this truck. I understand torque too.
It appears some trucks have a prevention switch and others don't.
Having the transfer case vendor provide a product that allows reverse in low gear is a pretty basic requirement. If any consumer products, like pick up trucks suffered this problem, it would have been corrected quickly.
Other peoples money sure is different than one's own.
Pete

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
These trucks were purpose built for the government/military to their specs. They(A2) were modified to the military's specs.

They were never meant to be manufactured in compliance with civilian use/standards.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks