• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923's and M925's, how much are they going for now?

mahdey

I like the 900 series trucks, what can i expect to pay for one on GL? I bought my M35A2 for 1700 back in September of 09, but now they are outrageous in price.

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
For a running one in nice shape 923's, A1 ' and A2's from 3800-9K depending , thats what I have seen them for on GL. Then tax and 10% GL take.
Then depends on where in the US you are.

I know you didnt ask but for future guys looking at the thread that might not know them , read Stansbury's thread on the ABS system and learn thease trucks before you drive them. They really are a whole nother world. Air brakes and other things.
Most states require CDL's of some sort due to the air brakes.

mahdey

For a running one in nice shape 923's, A1 ' and A2's from 3800-9K depending , thats what I have seen them for on GL. Then tax and 10% GL take.
Then depends on where in the US you are.

I know you didnt ask but for future guys looking at the thread that might not know them , read Stansbury's thread on the ABS system and learn thease trucks before you drive them. They really are a whole nother world. Air brakes and other things.
Most states require CDL's of some sort due to the air brakes.
Yeah I read up on that. As for air brakes, I work on semi's during the summer so I am familiar with the touchiness.

Truckoholic

A running M923A1 that I was watching on GL the other day went for $6100. I've seen some of them in non running condition go for around $3500. The 925's of course tend to go for more because of the winch. An M925 is what I would really love to have as soon as I have the money to afford one. But seriously, $6100 for that incredible of a truck, is a bargain! A truck that originally cost the government $75,000! Can't really beat that!

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
I bought 4-923s from Meade 2 weeks ago.I paid between $ 3800-$4100 out the door,3 were runners and 1 didnt run.That was a great deal.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
When the A3 Deuces first came out I remember them going for over 12K.

The 900 series 5 tons started out like that.....over 15K in some cases.

It is all supply and demand......there are more and more 900 series coming out the gate and they will be cheaper until the supply dries up (there were a lot less 900 series 5 tons produced than deuces).

At some point in time the price will start to creep up as we are seeing deuce prices doing now.

I was never fond of them when I had to drive them in the Army but at such low prices I might be tempted to try one out. I still have a CDL so I am covered for that issue.

466Navastar

"I was never fond of them when I had to drive them in the Army but at such low prices I might be tempted to try one out. I still have a CDL so I am covered for that issue. " Wreckerman893

curious WHY you were not fond of them - when they appear to be so much more refined than the beloved old deuce....and much more powerful and load worthy.....

since you drove these - while active.....maybe you can share a few good and bad feature recollections and insights

thanks

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The main issue I had with them was the automatic transmission..it banged upshifting and downshifting. Usually I would shift them manually.

The high/low transfer lever was a PITA to operate.

At the unit I was in at Fort Benning we had two that the transmission bolts backed out of and the transmission tried to spin sideways.

They also make a weird racket going down the road....the early ones were not turbocharged and were dogs off the line and on hills.

Good features were the power steering, air brakes, bigger cab than the deuces and 800 series 5 tons and better ride.

PowerstrokeNC

I am new to the MV world, so I wasnt sure what to expect when I got my A3 Deuce... But I really liked it. However when I got the 5ton all I can say is Wow what a difference! It drives like a car almost, even the wife can't believe how easily she can drive it. Off course the hydraulic power steering accounts for a lot of the "easiness". Even sitting at a light the 5 ton requires very little pressure on the brake pedal to not creep forward. The deuce needs an elephant foot!
If I was ever faced with having to choose one child over the other. :)
I would keep the 5 ton.

PowerstrokeNC

I am new to the MV world, so I wasnt sure what to expect when I got my A3 Deuce... But I really liked it. However when I got the 5ton all I can say is Wow what a difference! It drives like a car almost, even the wife can't believe how easily she can drive it. Off course the hydraulic power steering accounts for a lot of the "easiness". Even sitting at a light the 5 ton requires very little pressure on the brake pedal to not creep forward. The deuce needs an elephant foot!
If I was ever faced with having to choose one child over the other. :)
I would keep the 5 ton.
;)

emr

Fast story from the Nj Guard in the first gulf war, They logged on the books more miles than any other unit, And got the citations to prove it. they were the first ones to weld up gun trucks , they towed all the armor for the marines and were in every big battle on the way to the big battles, they ran the 939 series mostly and ran em and ran em thru and thru,. there are/were a bunch of Vietnam truckers in this unit, as a whole they talked these trucks up as the best of the M series by far, ease to drive , very very low down time, never could over load one, tough and rugged is the terms i heard from the units i hang and talk with and support as FRG and many other Volunteer tasks,, The older guys always preferred to grab a truck with duels, As the old timers knew real fast the big tires were wearing out fast and the drivers change there own tires and first before they get to rest, so its a no brainer the guys running the duels did not need to change nearly as often as the super singles, in fact most grew to hate em because of that. But I run em and rotate em and keep my speed down because i do not want to be a slave to my singles, hope this and the other info here helps, these trucks are awesome as they look. Good Luck and in my opinion anything under 10,000 for a running one is a steel. ... Oh and as much as i absolutely love deuces, I sold em when times got tough but would never sell the 925... :) ...randy

SPCWarning

I know it's a different animal but same family, there were a bunch of 931 tractors that went between $1500-$2500 plus fees last month. Forgive me if this is too far off the 923/925 question, hope it helps.

Last edited:

Rustsleeps

What is the fuel consumption on a 923? Does the automatic tramsmission have good reliability, or are the hard shifts reported earlier in this thread typical (and destructive)?

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have an M923 with a brand new NHC250 that got 10 MPG driving back from SC to MD. The motor, and the running gear for that matter, are new so I think that had something to do with it. I have seen 6-8 MPG in various periodicals over the years.

I am not sure what is meant by "hard shifts." I have five M939 series trucks and have had many others...and I've put thousands of miles on them. They shift fairly smoothly in my opinion for a big truck. If anyone has driven an M211 series truck, they shift more smoothly than those trucks for example. You definitely feel the truck up shifting and down shifting, but I like that. I would not want it to shift like the family car. I think the transmissions are very reliable. Now, with that said, when something breaks, it is more costly and more time consuming tracking down the problem. They are MUCH more complex than the older trucks, mainly due to the air system. Also, if you have a problem with your transmission, it most likely will cost you.

Rustsleeps

Thanks BKubu. I am not familiar with these trucks and Wreckerman mentioned some issues with the transmission and transfer case on page one. No suprise on the fuel. It is better to have miles per gallon than gallons per mile...

SPCWarning

M931 Bobbed?

M931 Bobbed? Maybe with M105 Trailer bed? Possible? Too big to bob? I know anything's possible with patience, a welding machine and cutting torch......why wouldn't this work? They seem cheaper than 923's & 925's. Forgive me if I'm outta line with this, just a thought. I want a big MV cargo and this doesn't seem that far-fetched.....or does it?

Derrickl112

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M931 Bobbed? Maybe with M105 Trailer bed? Possible? Too big to bob? I know anything's possible with patience, a welding machine and cutting torch......why wouldn't this work? They seem cheaper than 923's & 925's. Forgive me if I'm outta line with this, just a thought. I want a big MV cargo and this doesn't seem that far-fetched.....or does it?

Its not far fetched. But it looks dumb IMO

A deuce bed looks MUCHHHH better

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks