• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M925 A2 very disappointed in ability

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Adding weight to the extreme back of the bed was not so much to improve traction but to counter the extreme weight on the 2 front tires. The ground pressure under the 2 front tires is immensely higher that the 4 rears. Think counter weight.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes I agree with Kenny at work there was a dump truck delivering dirt and the lot is full of fine sand.
The driver dumped his load and could not get out, due to wheel hop, so he lifted his bed back up and came right out

Carlo

How long did you wait to hit this sand after you pushed the sand option on the CTIS? I have two M923A2's and both need about 5 minutes to fully deflate to consider them sand ready.

emr

To many posts to read to see if some one said this..., To much air in the tires will cause the hop the fastest, Sorry but its not the truck , its a lack of experience, Not trying to be rude at all, Hope you take it the right way. These are amazing tactical vehicles and are performing amazing in Desert conditions for many many years now. Weight in the rear end is almost as important as air pressure. The life guard trucks that cruise around the beach's do not put weight in the back, they just run on super low air and drive all over.

Last edited:

jesusgatos

My brother took one of our 5-tons (hightop M923A2) down to the King of the Hammers to race and I wasn't impressed either. Even aired all the way down to 'emergency', wasn't able to climb moderate sandhills. Lots of wheel-hop.

whiskey357

Banned
Right about the hopping ....have used Range Rover in assuie land in sugar sand.....low tire pressure and get out and look before you drive as getting stuck anti no fun.......and by all means check out your weight and front end working like it should ......have some pics of the 2 ton stuck up to the doors in sugar sand...took 3 gtrucks to get her out ... never again ... find a another rounte iffn possible.....or go light...later gator..

cumminsbandit

We have 3 sand and gravel pits and me and some friends were playing with my A2 in some real powder sugar sand and in hwy mode without the front engaged it would hope real bad! Couldn't even hardly touch the peddle. Threw it in 6x and would hop a bit and take off. Then aired down to sand on the CTIS and went back threw without the front pulling, and would stop and accelerate fairly hard and no hope at all. I work in sand every day and tire presser is key!

I might have to take a vid for show and tell! haha

hklvette

It seems that the popular belief is that M35s and 5-tons can go absolutely anywhere and never get stuck. The truth is that they can go places most vehicles can't while hauling heavy loads, but they aren't unstoppable. They do well for what they were designed to do: Pull cargo over rough dirt roads.

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How long did you wait to hit this sand after you pushed the sand option on the CTIS? I have two M923A2's and both need about 5 minutes to fully deflate to consider them sand ready.
I second this. Hitting the button does not just dump the air. You know how long it takes to fill one of these tires manually? It takes that long for the CTIS to adjust the pressure, too.

Was the sand light solid when you tried it? If it was flashing, it was still adjusting tire pressures.

Dukeman

There must be 50-75 MV owners at our local lake. Deuces, 5 tons, 20 tons. The surrounding area is all desert sand, thick, deep sand. I have not seen one, not one vehicle make it up the sand dunes. Deuces do better then 5 tons. The bigger and heavier the vehicle, the less it will float on top of the sand. Sorry to tell you, but its just not made to climb in the deep sand like that. Most of these trucks had a hard time getting up this small hill. Good luck.

Attachments

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There must be 50-75 MV owners at our local lake. Deuces, 5 tons, 20 tons. The surrounding area is all desert sand, thick, deep sand. I have not seen one, not one vehicle make it up the sand dunes. Deuces do better then 5 tons. The bigger and heavier the vehicle, the less it will float on top of the sand. Sorry to tell you, but its just not made to climb in the deep sand like that. Most of these trucks had a hard time getting up this small hill. Good luck.
Where is this?
Elephant Butte??

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where is this?
Elephant Butte??
Yeah, that is Elephant Butte. I tried to find the thread where that picture was first posted on here because there were more pictures there, but I could not find it.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
More weight in the rear & air down.
I have found that airing down really helps a lot but many folks don't want to go through the hassle. It takes a while. Some of these folk store their truck in the area so I would think there would be little need to air up. I drive up there from El Paso so I am there for 2 -3 days minimum. I air down as soon as I get there and air up just before leaving. Also, some do not air down enough, especially in the lightly loaded rear tires.

Additional weight is not a bad idea but tough to do when you are out there camping, a hundred miles from home. Whatever is back there will get beat to .... , not if but when it does start hopping. There is plenty of sand to shovel into the bed though, if you are really feeling froggy.

Dukeman

Yes, Elephant Butte Lake outside of Truth or Consequences, NM. Fun place and perfect for the MV's. I would put money, that other then a military base, Elephant Butte has the highest concentration of MV's per capita then any other town in America. A small get together last summer.

Sorry about hijacking the thread.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks