• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M925 Starter shims?

acme66

I have been chasing a starter issue for a few days now. All the easy stuff, connections, wire, solenoid checks out. Even with a brand new starter same deal. Clunk but no turning over. Even when you manually trigger the solenoid. I am wondering if I need to space it back just a whisper. That the bendix slams forward but can't go out enough sometimes to trigger the contacts at the solenoid. It is a huge imposition but if anyone has a starter out can you measure how much shim I am supposed to have. The truck has an aluminum shim with a gasket on one side. The old starter had a gasket stuck to it but the new one doesn't. Pulling hair here.

Ken

MikeGuti

I have been chasing a starter issue for a few days now. All the easy stuff, connections, wire, solenoid checks out. Even with a brand new starter same deal. Clunk but no turning over. Even when you manually trigger the solenoid. I am wondering if I need to space it back just a whisper. That the bendix slams forward but can't go out enough sometimes to trigger the contacts at the solenoid. It is a huge imposition but if anyone has a starter out can you measure how much shim I am supposed to have. The truck has an aluminum shim with a gasket on one side. The old starter had a gasket stuck to it but the new one doesn't. Pulling hair here.

Ken
Are the gauges working on the panel?

acme66

That us just it, everything checks out. Even when manually triggering the starter solenoid you can hear/feel it shoot out but the motor never even tries to turn. No power draw. It has to be the main contacts in the solenoid coming together. My question is if I need to space the starter back a bit further to give that bendix more room. A long shot but we have checked every other thing.

SLOrazorsedge

That's an odd issue to just "happen" and continue to occur with a new unit. I've seen similar issues when the teeth on the flex plate haven been broken off and the starter gear has nothing to engage into. Did you check your flex plate ring gear before you installed the new starter?

acme66

Truck starts when power does make it through. The only issue after two days of troubleshooting is does the mhc 250 need a specific amount of bendix throw in order to trigger the starter motor. My solenoid is brand new and I can feel it working but it isn't throwing far enough for the contacts at the end to engage the copper studs and send power th the motor. I am wondering if I am missing shims to space my starter back some to give that bendix just a bit more throw and engaging those contacts. I know it is a strange issue. The gear on the starter and the ring or flex gear on the truck both seem fine. It is a brand new refit starter designed to fit several applications.

acme66

I can trigger the solenoid manually. The control box I'd out of the loop. I gave it **** grinding it a bit after a filter change. Hasn't been an issue since. I will try to make a video on my question since it isn't clear. That or just do it and report back.

Ken

Monkeyboyarmy

I had an A3 that was doing the same thing. Clunk,clunk,clunk. I thought that I was having the same issue of the Bendix not moving far enough. Ended up being that the contact studs were not sticking far enough past the end plate to make contact. I made up some special shims to go underneath the heads of the contact studs to space them out. Never missed a beat after that.