• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M925 Winch Control Cable

Happyland1410

We recently obtained an M925 w/w for our fire department. The control cable for the hydraulic winch is seized up. This is the "push/pull" type cable that goes from the in-cab control lever to the hydraulic control valve. I just removed the cable and now I can't seem to find a source for a replacement cable. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I found the part number in the TM and verified it on the cable itself. Here are the details and pictures.

NSN 4010011126562
Cage 19207
Part Number 11669464 (this is the number on the cable)

Here is the TM info for anyone that is curious:
TM 9-2320-272-24-3 page 4-850
TM 9-2320-272-24P-2 figure 454 & page 454-2 (item 14)

Attachments

Happyland1410

Update: I was not able to find a vendor for the original cable but I found a Cablecraft dealer that was able to make one for me. Here are the details in case someone else needs to replace this cable or something similar and finds this thread.

I found out that these are called push-pull control cables.

The Cablecraft dealer in Oklahoma City (Perfection Truck Parts & Equipment) made one of these to match the original cable in about 30 minutes.

60 inch 173/174 type cable (stainless steel support tubes & end rods)

173-LTG-2 assembly:

173 = stainless steel end rods
L = 1/4 x 28 threaded ends
T = Threaded swivel on one end
G = Grooved swivel on other end
2 = 2" of cable travel

Here is the Link for Cablecraft where you can find a local vendor:
Push-Pull Controls, Low Friction Controls, Control Cable Assemblies from Cablecraft Motion Controls

Happyland1410

Replaced the cable this afternoon and now the winch is working. I got really lucky in finding a way to feed the new cable up through the firewall. The threads on the end of my Greenlee fish tape happened to be the same 1/4 x 28 as the end of the cable. I fed the fisk tape through the firewall from inside the cab and attached it to the new cable. With a little bit of work I was able to pull the new cable into place.

Here are a few pictures of the new cable and the truck:

Attachments

Truckoholic

On mine, the cable was okay, but the piston in the hydraulic valve was all rusted on the exposed end where the cable attaches, so the piston could not move inwards to actuate the valve to wind the winch. So I had to spend a bit of time under there with a file cleaning off all the rust so it would work.

Glad to hear you were able to get a new cable made!

NEIOWA

Recently got a M925 for my small town. Will be removing the complete front bumper/winch and sell. Truck 2009 rebuild with 280mi on it. Looks like the winch has not been used since rebuild.

What price/value estimate for bumper/winch/control "stand"/controls. Hyd Pump/tank do not sell

madcroc1

Winch Hydraulic Control Valve on M925A2

Has anyone rebuilt the winch hydraulic control valve? I had the same problem as Trucoholic. My control valve piston was rusted and looked like it was never used. I couldnt move it with anything except hammer it a bit. I hammered the valve down with tons of WD-40 and then stuck a screwdriver in the cable control hole. I finally broke it free and now it works. But, i think I hammered it too hard now it leaks only when it is being used back by the primer balloon ball thingy... Does anyone know what the primer ball is for,?? It didnt seem to work.. I cant find anything in the TM's on it...

I finally got the valve piston to work correctly Spring in and Spring out and stop in the middle...

I guess I may need to rebuild the seals in the control valve. Does anyone know who sells the valves or the seals for this hydraulic control? I think it must be standard hydraulic stuff that I could find at a hydraulic supply store right ?

Photo_2013_07_27_12_44_55_1.jpgPhoto_2013_07_27_12_44_56_2.jpg

aheilmann68

Madcroc1, did you ever figure out the control valve rebuild? Mine has the same isse now.

Side note, mcmaster carr has a a control cable that works well 39125k93.

aheilmann68

I found seals that work for the leaking, only needed 1 but had to buy 100 so feel free to ask.
The carc painting got inside the little nipple under that bulb, which mine is missing. And when operating the valve it destroys the o ring. I honed down the walls, removed the carc, replaced the oring and ready to roll.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would like two of the seals. I have one that is leaking a little. PM your Paypal and I will send you some seal and shipping money. Thanks!!!!

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Same here please. No conerns with my M925 yet. I believe in spares.
PM paypal info for cost/shipping. You're in the seal business now....