• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M925 Winch not working

Triple C

Gentlemen. I recently sold my 925 to a neighbor that is a good friend (so I could keep visitation rights!) He is a bit younger and will be able to keep it in great shape. In fact he has tackled the winch which I never got to. I knew it didn't work but I never worked on it. He has the TM's but he is still learning how to navigate them. I gave him my hard copies so I don't have them anymore. I did look in the electronic copy I have but I am not much better than he is in that regard. I also went through 10 pages of threads but didn't find the answer I was looking for. I wanted to present my bona-fides before I asked if anyone can tell me the answer to a few questions. First, with the truck parking brake on, putting the truck in 1-5, and manually moving the pto lever into what should be the engage position, shouldn't the pto shaft begin to turn? It doesn't do that even when the shifter is moved back to neutral. With the truck turned off, it is possible to turn the pto shaft by hand and it moves easier in one direction than the other (though I didn't move it so I can't say which way.) Other than the winch not functioning, the trans works as expected and the fluid level and look is okay. Hopefully he is going through the tm's but I thought I would check in with you guys and get your thoughts. Thanks in advance.

Triple C

Good questions! Thanks for the prompt response. Yes the tank level is good and the cable wasn't working well so we took it off and moved the lever by and (through the access door in the cab.) It moves freely but doesn't seem to make a difference which position it is in, the pto shaft doesn't move.

The first thing I would check for is if the cable is siezed, broken or just out of adjustment. You can see the lever on the pto move when you move the lever inside the cab.

R Racing

You may have to remove the cover and check the drive gear and you won't see it but it should be keyed to the shaft. Perhaps the key is sheared?

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The shift gear in the PTO can also not engage if it's not tight enough to the shift lever on the PTO.

And the other thing, are you sure the PTO lever is engaging fully? It will come about 1/2 way every time, but the rest will depend on where the transmission gear happened to stop rotating. If the lever in the cab wasn't coming all the way back when it was attached, could be this.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the shaft isn't spinning when you move the PTO lever to engage the PTO, you've got a problem with the PTO. Take the cable off the PTO lever and see if it will engage by hand. If it won't, the problem will be inside. You should be able to pull the shifter cover off to maybe see what's going on.

Triple C

Sounds like the problem is inside the PTO. We did take the cable off and moved the pto lever by hand. It moves freely. I like the shear pin idea, that would explain why it moves easily with no apparent change in the operation of the pto. Guess he needs to take that off and see what is going on inside!

74M35A2

I have a 925A2. Withe the truck at idle and foot brake on, put trans into 1-5 and keep truck still. Pull PTO engagement lever back to engage. Let the truck creep forward a few feet while pulling the engagement lever. At this point you may feel it pull into engaged position. Then once back into neutral, you should hear the PTO shaft and pump spinning. My engagement lever will hit the metal case when fully engaged.

PTO will not spin in 1-5 while at a stand-still. This is why you engage it then. You can disengage while it is spinning in neutral, but only engage in 1-5 at less than 1mph forward speed. Parking brake will probably make it all a little more difficult as the gears need to move slightly to align and fully engage.

Triple C

Well, didn't work to engage while creeping forward, think he is going to have to open the PTO case and check out that shear pin. Thanks guys for the help.

slothman

Any tips on how to open up the PTO to inspect? I have the same issue, won't engage, lever feels very loose (it still moves the switch on the PTO though) but won't engage while slow rolling in 1-5 or in neutral. I suspect it may be shear pin as above?

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been working on trying to get my winch to work too. I finally get the pto to engage and the shaft spin but the directional unit seams to be stuck. i oil after sanding the shaft but i can only get it out some and it doesnt stay out. The shaft doesnt want to go in. Please help

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks