• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m925 wont start

Olpa77

Hi folks,

I am new to your forum and this is my first post here. Tuesday I went and picked up a M925 from Ft. Riley I bought. When I arrived to pick it up the fuel cap was missing. The loaders wanted to attempt to fire it up but I declined because I didn't want to take a chance of excess water running into the fuel system. I got it back home drained the tank put in fresh diesel, replaced the canister fuel filter and filled the canister with fuel. Bled the air off using the bleeder pump on the side of the block. Went to fire it up and it just cranks and cranks with a little white smoke. Shoot some ether in and she takes but as soon as she eats the ether it dies right away. I am not real familiar with the Cummins NHC250. I don't even know much about the M925 truck I bought this is my first MV. Is there a kill switch I am missing some where or do I have problems?

moriboy

Hello and welcome aboard. If you didn't see any water or other contaminants in the fuel you drained I suspect that whats left in the fuel system could be ok. You asked about a kill switch. There is an emergency pull out/mechanical one on the dash underneath and to the right of the steering wheel. You might check to see if that is pulled out or if the cable is sticking. If that's not then the next mostly likely thing could be the fuel shutoff solenoid which is located on the injection pump itself. It may not be actuating properly and staying in the closed position. You can by pass that thing by turning a thumbscrew which will allow the truck to run in the case of a solenoid failure. Good luck, hope you can get her running.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
HAve you read through the -10TM(basic operators manual)?

Olpa77

Wow, I am not use to having such quick reply in a forum. Usually the forums I go for my semi truck take weeks to get a replay. You guys are on top of things here. I did read through the manual. I am not sure if it was the basic operators one though. The one I have was several hundred pages long. I guess I need to check that solenoid and make sure that emergency pull was reset under the hood.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Titles with exclamation points get top priority on this site. We use the exclamation point to express an emergency on this site.

Plus, we have a great site with a lot of great members.

trooper632

I accidentally ran my M931a2 out of fuel and same thing, hard to start even when I thought I had it primed it. I started it with starting fluid and just kept it running using the either until it ran on its own. Probabily used half a can of either but it worked.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pm sent if you need a fuel cap.

Welcome to The madness!

Since you opened the fuel system, priming the system is a real Bixxx. Make sure the primer pump hose and o rings are in good shape. I pumped till my hand fell off......

I had a similar problem and cranked and cranked and cranked till it finally started. Caution with this method, you might run the batteries down!

Many members have also reported dry rot & pin hole in the fuel line from tank to canister or the other hoses beyond the canister.

Olpa77

Well I did run my batteries down. I got a 24 v charger on it right now. At least it came with new batteries. They are dated by Exide as being shipped November of 2013.

Pressurize the fuel tank with slight air pressure, that will help push fuel up to the engine. I suspect the fuel shutoff solenoid is the culprit though, I have a nhc250 the solenoid is bad on that I just use the manual kill to shut it off (and I put a return spring on the lever under the hood)

Olpa77

Well I got it started. That kill switch was the problem just needed reset! I found 2 fuel leaks when it fired up. For what ever reason the low air light stopped working but the buzzer still works. I switched bulbs and it still don't light. Oh well. The pull out throttle on the dash wont stay pulled out even though it looks like it was just replaced. I also need to find a hood latch & front left wheel seal is leaking. Still not to bad. Thank you folks for the help and for letting a greenhorn feel welcome!
Here is a link to what I am working with.
http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?auctionId=7219810

MtnSnow

Jim,
Your mistaken. The motor in the truck that Olpa77 linked to is the NHC 250 cummins

The GL listing has incorrect info in it...but the pictures show the NHC 250.

Olpa77

Can anyone tell me where the oil pressure sending unit is? When I turn the battery switch on the oil pressure gauge jumps up to 120psi and stays there. Plus I keep losing warning lights. First the low air light went now the parking bake light quit. Bulbs check out ok. The alarm buzzer still functions. aua

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you looked at the -24 TM in the troubleshooting section, Electrical troubleshooting, Indicator, Gauge, and Warning System (page 2-145)

Also, a look at the parts TMs will help you identify it.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The Army finally got modern and there is a interactive trouble shooting guide for the 939's and it's in the TM section
M939_P2P.zip
M939 Series Interactive Systems Guide - Download .zip file, right-click the .zip file and select unzip contents, put the M939 P2P file in your Program Files directory, open the M939 P2P folder, right-click on the runa6w32.exe file, select Send To, select Desktop (create shortcut), go to desktop, right-click on the new shortcut, select properties, select the shortcut tab, make sure the target box shows "C:\Program Files\M939 P2P\runa6w32.exe" c:\Program Files\M939 P2P\nav.a6r, make sure the start in box is empty. This should allow you to double-click the shortcut on your desktop and start the P2P program.

Last edited:

Olpa77

I fixed the oil pressure gauge. The sending unit was unplugged. Only thing left to fix is the horn, hood latch, and warning lights. I replaced all the rubber fuel hoses this morning. Now you barely hit the start switch and it fires right up. I am very grateful for the help I received here. One more thing does anyone know where I can buy cans of paint that match the camo?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks