• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M925A2 Cold Start Test and Result, -11F (Michigan 1/6/14), Cummins 8.3L

74M35A2

Took advantage of our cold spell this evening to check cold start-ability of my newly acquired 1991 M925A2. Installed new $48 NAPA (Katz) ether cylinder 2 days ago into factory injector system. Outdoor temp not including wind-chill was -11F at time of test, truck was located outdoors and slightly snow covered. Fuel is about 1 month old, and has Power Service brand anti-gel added (white bottle, not the "911" red bottle). Batteries are 4 military type, under pass seat, and dated 2009, believed to be fully charged from idling 2 hours 2 nights prior.

Using the ether-assist during cranking, the Cummins 8.3L came to life in about 2 full seconds of cranking, ran smooth, then fell on its face as the ether burned off. A single repeat of this cranking with ether again, and the truck stayed running on diesel with the accelerator depressed past idle position (which was also partially depressed during the first crank/run attempt). Took several seconds of running like this before all cylinders were firing and idle was stable, but overall, I was very impressed for an engine without any type of heat assist. Oil pressure came up quickly. Engine started so quickly at this frigid temp, I am not sure I see the advantages of a block heater unless it is an attempt to get the dismal cabin heater to blow warm air more quickly.

Wanted to post the results for reference if anybody finds it advantageous.

5tonman1971

Either is a hellavua drug for Diesel engines, will get them up and running like it was nothing. I started my 71 m813a1 today at -15 with a wind chill of -40 with similar results as your self. But I have the NHC-250 cummins which does have a intake heater, and a fuel pressure pump in the cab.

A block heater will keep the oil warm for a smoother start and help the oil get to the top of the engine quicker to prevent dry starts and help with overall engine health.

ichudov

I did not try starting mine at -11F, but they start fine at 0F. You can start them without an ether bottle, just spray ether into air intake above the cab.

datadawg

Since the temp inside the truck is pretty much the same as outside, why oh why would you want to drive these pups at -11?? Too much punishment for me :)

Bighurt

Wind chill doesn't effect diesel or anything mechanical.

The downside to ether is, it's like drugs to a diesel. Once they are hooked they never go back...and some motors get finiky about their fix.

armytruck63

I wouldn't start my truck in very cold temperatures just as an experiment. If needed, like to move the truck or go out and rescue someone, then OK. Otherwise, let the lady sleep. But that's just me.

Just my $0.02.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Always takes me 3 times with both my M35A3 and M923A2. M923 is leaking somewhere before it travels through the line, I can smell the ether but doesn't even twitch.

Bighurt

I wouldn't start my truck in very cold temperatures just as an experiment. If needed, like to move the truck or go out and rescue someone, then OK. Otherwise, let the lady sleep. But that's just me.

Just my $0.02.
Mine hibernate in winter.

Had to move the M915A1 combo a month back but that was because the gas company had to install a gas line at the jobsite. I wasn't happy, they had 6 prior months to do it...in nice weather. And yes I had to use ether.

Actually starting isn't her problem it's warming up the drivetrain that is. She's awake but it takes awhile before she gets out of bed...

Gunner0311

Our 1986 Chevy 1 Ton Snowplow Truck puked on us two days ago(bad starter), and then yesterday my son's water well pump failed; which put a crimp in our plans to deal with the cold temps and 24 inches of snow we received the past four days.

So this morning I plugged in the Oil Pan Heater on my M52A2 before going to work, planning on beating a path down the driveway with the truck so my fiance can get her mini-van out to the road when I get home this afternoon. At 1700hrs I gave the

old girl a shot of ether, pulled the throttle out half way and hit the button. Temperature was 5 degrees. She started instantly!

Then I ran her up and down the 75 yard driveway a few times, slid off the edge and got pulled down the slope and ended up ten feet off the driveway stuck in 30 inches of snow, getting "wheel hop" from every axle! Very disappointing indeed....

It was a good lesson in what happens with an empty cargo box/ no weight over the read axles when attempting to get through heavy wet snow with two inches of ice on the bottom. One hour of shoveling snow out from under the truck and a

tow strap attached to my son's 2004 Chevy 3/4 ton HD giving me a few tugs, and presto! The old girl just need to get moving a little to make it up the slope and back onto the driveway. I really need to put some weight in the cargo box!!!

P.S. Had the truck running 1.5 hours and still the temperature gauge never moved one bit. Not even luke warm air coming out of the defroster vents, with all the windows beginning to fog up on me. I suppose this is typical?

crasheej

A little bit of something in front radiator will help warm them up. That is why there are cold weather front covers for sale. They realy do help.

winfred

don't think id bother trying to start a old school diesel at that temp, would take a few hours of heat under a tarp, wouldn't hurt to get batteries warmed up some too

Interesting thread! I know I'm reviving this but I've been curious about this, living in Fairbanks, Alaska...-40F in the winter at times.

lindsey97

I have no experience with A2 8.3l. I have multiple M923 with NHC-250. One of the very FIRST mods I do is add a coolant heater, which installs in the right side of the block. I cannot begin to express how much adding one helps when it's cold. Very easy to install, and much easier on an engine than using ether. Have started my trucks in 7 deg. F weather with no ether using the coolant heater. I will say that if using the cold start ether assist properly, it is much more forgiving than spraying the intake full of ether.

I agree with the previous posters on using a cold weather front, be it cardboard, or a custom made one. Works well in getting engine warmed up enough to heat the cab effectively. Also, a defroster is a safety concern, and needed to operate in cold climates.

I would like to try a oil pan heater for my transmission when $$/time permits.

snowtrac nome

the engine should warm up just fine with a good thermostat. I manage a fleet of heavy trucks just a couple hundred miles south of the arctic circle and none need winter fronts to stay warm. with an after cooled engine that winter front will raise egt's and cut horse power. A good block heater is a must reserve starting fluid for where there is no electricity. Also synthetic oil is worth its weight in the cold. lastly c and b cummins engines are pretty easy to start cold with or with out pre heat the old 855's are hard to start along with the 3116 the dt 466 and multi fuel engines also seem to start cold pretty well. Detroits were king up north at one time because the started with so much less effort that cat and cummins engines. So plug in when you can right now its -7 out side and that's warmer than usual up here. my MV will be expected to run daily at -20 or better with heat when I get it here the first order of business will be a new thermostat.

sandcobra164

My old nifty 250 starts just fine without ether on these frigid southwest Georgia days. About 2 seconds of cranking in the mid 40's this time of year. The ether start is enabled and the coldest day last year was around 17 degrees. It took about 4 seconds to start as you cannot push the ether button until the engine is spinning per the label. Only notable issue is it idles around 400 rpm until it warms up some and resumes it's 650 rpm idle. Oil pressure is similar but I'm sure the oil is thicker and the diesel is not flowing as freely. On cold days, it has a bit of lag from the transfer and axles until they warm up. After about 5 miles of driving, it's just like on a summer day starting out. I usually take it off the "Ready Board" this time of year and wait for warmer temps. It's done it's work in the warm months, no need to stress it in the winter. I know that others don't have this option due to location.

snowtrac nome

those of you with 9 series 5 tons an injection system is the only way to start them the Alaska guard had a ton of them lock up on cold starts. I believe it was from the long intake tubes and too much starting fluid before the engine actually started. I herd more than one race to 2100 cold and the old 855 engines were slow to build oil pressure. I don't remember any of the older engines doing that with the air cleaners on the fender and a short run to the intake

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks