• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M925A2 Delco Style Alternator

infidel got me

I purchased a delco from spider marine and had nothing but headaches. The guy I dealt with was a real clown. He sent a pulley that did not even fit his alternator, but explained it was not his problem since he outsourced his pulleys. After a week of e-mails and frustration I had the pulley off the original alt. drilled so it would fit his alt .Good luck on returning alt. as he is almost impossible to get hold of, let alone return a phone call. Do yourself a favor and have your regulator replaced by a local shop or do it yourself. Hope this helps and good luck

74M35A2

I purchased a delco from spider marine and had nothing but headaches. The guy I dealt with was a real clown. He sent a pulley that did not even fit his alternator, but explained it was not his problem since he outsourced his pulleys. After a week of e-mails and frustration I had the pulley off the original alt. drilled so it would fit his alt .Good luck on returning alt. as he is almost impossible to get hold of, let alone return a phone call. Do yourself a favor and have your regulator replaced by a local shop or do it yourself. Hope this helps and good luck
Bummer story. Did the alternator they supplied work and is still working? I'm tracking these Chinese Delco clone alternators ($70-$150) to see if they work when new and how long they are lasting for people. Sorry on the pulley.

RobertoGatos

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I purchased a delco from spider marine and had nothing but headaches. Good luck on returning alt. as he is almost impossible to get hold of, let alone return a phone call. Do yourself a favor and have your regulator replaced by a local shop or do it yourself. Hope this helps and good luck
They are impossible to get ahold of. Ordered one from spider that worked well for about 20k miles but the bearings got sloppy. Decided to just buy a 22si somewhere else.

74M35A2

They are impossible to get ahold of. Ordered one from spider that worked well for about 20k miles but the bearings got sloppy. Decided to just buy a 22si somewhere else.
Exactly. These are Chinese, they are not Delco. You are not going to buy a brand new (not reman) Delco for $100. A brand new genuine Delco 22si will probably cost you $300-$400 or so.

infidel got me

Bummer story. Did the alternator they supplied work and is still working? I'm tracking these Chinese Delco

clone alternators ($70-$150) to see if they work when new and how long they are lasting for people. Sorry on the pulley.
74m The alternator is still working with about 5k on the clock. I did not mean to be so negative in my reply but the guy at spider marine really had me smoking mad. It was about 4 months ago and it was Africa hot outside, after several calls and a half dozen e-mails he still was no help. I have a short fuse and the heat did not make things better. Anyway I will buy a NEW DELCO next time, but as of now needle is in the green. Smart as a horse-- hung like Einstien

Last edited:

RumRunner742

Why would you not use the 'R' terminal to connect the butt connected wire from the old alt? It uses AC volts. I think the wire #is 599 or 566, that wire goes to the PCB and tells the PCB that the truck is running and it will function properly. What do you do with the other small wire, i dont know the number on it? Just tie it back and insulate it? It should be a hot wire also going to the PCB.
Anyone know about this PCB wire? I want to do this mod, however the PCB is not something I want to risk damaging.

CPDOG

guys

I had to can my Chinese delco from spidermarine. I wound up buying a leece-neville from a big rig shop. I even visited some local fire dept's and to see what they are running too.(leece-nevilles)
so I got it on but used a 2 1/2" pulley vice a 3" pulley and used my same original belt.

here are the part # if you have to go this route. also, I was able to adjust it right up to 28.5 volts and it stays there at idle where as the spidermarine would go from mid yellow at idle to low green at 2000 rpm and it wasn't adjustable.

75 amp leece-neville alt...110-446
2 1?2 " pulley......208-01003
total price is 362.43 and I can go just down the road to get it or any parts I need.

I will post pics if you need them too.......good luck bro!

V/r

kfrosty

I've tried calling SpiderMarine all day. One time I got some lady that repeated everything I said twice about ordering an alternator. I then figured out she was an with an answering service. I've sent an email and tried calling back all day. Really would like to find another alternative or guess I'll be going the rebuild or used route as well.

74M35A2

Leece Neville is the low cost end of alternators, which is one reason why you will find them on equipment.

I'm considering to offer a brand new (not reman) high quality 24V alternator rated at 130 amps, which is rated for over double the capacity of the original alternator. Includes remote voltage sensing option (not required to use), and internal automatic temperature compensation (higher voltage in colder weather). 8 rib serpentine pulley already attached, could also accept a V belt pulley. Twin internal fans. J-180 short type mount configuration, which some use that on the long type mount without issue. Cummins has a J-180 short mount available in production that bolts directly in place on the 8.3L. 3 year unconditional warranty as long as no physical damage. I am test fitting the first example now to my 8.3 and will publish the results with test data. Price would be $300ea if the trial is successful. They are not yet for sale as of this writing.

infidel got me

Leece Neville is the low cost end of alternators, which is one reason why you will find them on equipment.

I'm considering to offer a brand new (not reman) high quality 24V alternator rated at 130 amps, which is rated for over double the capacity of the original alternator. Includes remote voltage sensing option (not required to use), and internal automatic temperature compensation (higher voltage in colder weather). 8 rib serpentine pulley already attached, could also accept a V belt pulley. Twin internal fans. J-180 short type mount configuration, which some use that on the long type mount without issue. Cummins has a J-180 short mount available in production that bolts directly in place on the 8.3L. 3 year unconditional warranty as long as no physical damage. I am test fitting the first example now to my 8.3 and will publish the results with test data. Price would be $300ea if the trial is successful. They are not yet for sale as of this writing.
74m- I say go for it. You have obviously done your homework on our dilemma with charging problems. At the very least we will have a human to speak to, and I'm sure you would return a phone call. The price is well within reason with a warranty to boot . DO IT DO IT-- CHARGE -- Good luck

Last edited:

74M35A2

Of course I'd answer the phone. All the connections would be clearly labeled when received, and it will even charge weak and dead batteries without committing suicide like the factory alternator does (most people here advise to fully charge your batteries as to not over-tax the factory alternator). Just imagine, an alternator that charges batteries without failing. Amazing. Just like having a dish washer that can actually wash dishes, without you washing them first. And, 0% Chinese content to boot. It even spits out the alternator load as a percent, but as a PWM signal, so not plug and play easy to interpret. People just want it to work though, I get it. Bolt it on, close the hood, and be able to never have to look at the volt gauge again.

todds112

Decided to do this mod. I was able to find a Delco alternator (reman) here locally. I still need to get a pulley. Question on the pulley. Is the shaft tapered, or does the pulley just snug down against the fan part? My understanding is there is no key/keyway on the Delco (I haven't picked it up yet).

Edit: Well their computer lied, they didn't have it in stock. Will be here in 2 days. Went ahead and ordered the pulley through them as well.

Still deciding on making a new lower bracket, extending the original one, or just getting a shorter belt. I need a new belt anyway so I might go that route. I saw in another thread someone said 2" shorter? Original is 68" OD. I found a Gates K080653 that is 65 7/8" OD. For those that have done it, does that sound about right?

Holst truck parts in Idaho Falls said I could come over and dig through their core engine pile to see if I can find a bracket, so I'll give that a try.

Last edited:

Andyrv6av8r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you decide to make a new bracket:
10" long with holes 8.75 inches between centers. Easy and the original belt works fine.

Decided to do this mod. I was able to find a Delco alternator (reman) here locally. I still need to get a pulley. Question on the pulley. Is the shaft tapered, or does the pulley just snug down against the fan part? My understanding is there is no key/keyway on the Delco (I haven't picked it up yet).

Edit: Well their computer lied, they didn't have it in stock. Will be here in 2 days. Went ahead and ordered the pulley through them as well.

Still deciding on making a new lower bracket, extending the original one, or just getting a shorter belt. I need a new belt anyway so I might go that route. I saw in another thread someone said 2" shorter? Original is 68" OD. I found a Gates K080653 that is 65 7/8" OD. For those that have done it, does that sound about right?

Holst truck parts in Idaho Falls said I could come over and dig through their core engine pile to see if I can find a bracket, so I'll give that a try.

infidel got me

Correct no keyway on delco. I had my local alt. generator guy build me a delco, cost 130 with pulley and its not a clone. If you cant find a pulley you should be able to drill your existing pulley to 7/8 which will fit your delco.

74M35A2

Yep. Good info here. Just make a new lower bracket, it is only a straight piece of metal with one end bolted to the water pump bolt. Gravy job. Yes, the pulley just sandwiches between the nut and fan. Few second zip of an impact gun, don't insert anything into the alternator to hold the shaft from turning. Pulley nut should either be a flanged nut or a conventional nut with a lock washer.

It is important that the unit you had built up was was initially designed as a 24v unit, as this affects the voltage ratings of the diodes, etc.... Also, a 12v which is shade tree converted to a 24v unit will not have nearly the output curve of a unit that was designed as a 24v to begin with. Did they say what is the amperage rating of the one you bought? A 24v makes twice the power from a total wattage perspective as compared to a 12v unit, so they usually require more cooling and a lower amperage rating then the 12v version of same. If a Delco 60A unit is the same size for 12V and 24V, one is either under or oversized, respectively.

Last edited:

infidel got me

74m35a2, The alt. rebuilder did a 24v build. He did a lot for the county back when they had a few 24v trucks running around. He was quite knowledgeable on the system. I had two reasons for not rebuilding the original [cost and time] He said he could find a regulator for around a 100 bucks, but that did not include labor or what ever else may be wrong with it. He is busier than a cat trying to cover it up, so he said it may be up to 2 weeks before I got it back [not knowing how long it would take to get voltage regulator] I opted for the delco because he had it done the next day, the price was right , and parts are easier to find for the delco. I still have the original just in case I want to go back to original.

74M35A2

That all sounds good. It should be fine and last a decent amount of time. Did he say what amperage it was rated at and how long the warranty was? If yours works out well and he wants more business, others here may want to use him.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks