• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M925A2 Delco Style Alternator

Bobuilt

Hello from Fort Bragg, NC. I am trying to help a local Fire Dept with there M925 Brush Truck. It has the old style Voltage regulator mounted on the fire wall. Has anybody done a conversion on this model truck brfor. Please help with a Delco style conversion for this.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you talking about the black box on the driver side on the fire wall? That is not a Voltage regulator.

74M35A2

The Chinese Delco clones can be had right now new for $69 delivered including warranty. That pricing is so low that I don’t dabble in it anymore, unless somebody wants high output or genuine Delco. 70A is plenty for these trucks, even with aftermarket accessories. And, the Chinese units seem to be holding up fine. Actually, the genuine Delco that I am benchmarking which I paid $330 for at a truck dealer failed in less than a year of hobby use, with new batteries and no accessory loads. This is the alt in my avatar, had to solder in a new regulator already.

Correct bracket available for 8.3L available from Cummins ($100), weld an additional ear onto the 250 bracket. Pulley $18 on eBay. I don’t give links or part numbers to the $69 one, as I don’t want to field calls for “It doesn’t fit.”, or “How do you wire it up?” at that price level.

Thinking about offering it as a kit with support for $100 cost adder, or just doing a write up and post an article. That alternator really only needs the + battery wire and case ground only, connected. Tape back the small 2 wires in the truck harness.

You can also really make it simple and just run a new B+ wire from the alternator to the back of the starter, and abandon the truck harness for it. That is how most of todays new semi trucks are wired, for the main alternator cable anyway. There is the $100 support, for free. :)

Even the Chinese clones are decades ahead in design over the stock mil unit. They will not over-volt on an improper switch shut down order, and wipe out your ABS, CTIS, and/or PCB.

Last edited:

Bobuilt

Parts list, No emails asking why it wont work

The Chinese Delco clones can be had right now new for $69 delivered including warranty. That pricing is so low that I don’t dabble in it anymore, unless somebody wants high output or genuine Delco. 70A is plenty for these trucks, even with aftermarket accessories. And, the Chinese units seem to be holding up fine. Actually, the genuine Delco that I am benchmarking which I paid $330 for at a truck dealer failed in less than a year of hobby use, with new batteries and no accessory loads. This is the alt in my avatar, had to solder in a new regulator already.

Correct bracket available for 8.3L available from Cummins ($100), weld an additional ear onto the 250 bracket. Pulley $18 on eBay. I don’t give links or part numbers to the $69 one, as I don’t want to field calls for “It doesn’t fit.”, or “How do you wire it up?” at that price level.

Thinking about offering it as a kit with support for $100 cost adder, or just doing a write up and post an article. That alternator really only needs the + battery wire and case ground only, connected. Tape back the small 2 wires in the truck harness.

You can also really make it simple and just run a new B+ wire from the alternator to the back of the starter, and abandon the truck harness for it. That is how most of todays new semi trucks are wired, for the main alternator cable anyway. There is the $100 support, for free. :)

Even the Chinese clones are decades ahead in design over the stock mil unit. They will not over-volt on an improper switch shut down order, and wipe out your ABS, CTIS, and/or PCB.
I am just looking for the parts list or where to get the Alt and pully. I can build everything else. I know the truck well, many years in the Army working on them. Believe me I can fab up what else is needed. Thank You very much.

162tcat

I am just looking for the parts list or where to get the Alt and pully. I can build everything else. I know the truck well, many years in the Army working on them. Believe me I can fab up what else is needed. Thank You very much.
All of the info needed is in this thread. Start at the beginning.

Sent from my LG-M210 using Tapatalk

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
...Thinking about offering it as a kit with support for $100 cost adder, or just doing a write up and post an article. That alternator really only needs the + battery wire and case ground only, connected. Tape back the small 2 wires in the truck harness.

You can also really make it simple and just run a new B+ wire from the alternator to the back of the starter, and abandon the truck harness for it. That is how most of todays new semi trucks are wired, for the main alternator cable anyway. There is the $100 support, for free. :)...
We wouldn’t do that to ya! The check is in the mail...

74M35A2

All of the info needed is in this thread. Start at the beginning.

Sent from my LG-M210 using Tapatalk
Exactly. Others have been able to put this together and make it work. There is no one specific part number for this. Different alt part numbers change the B+ location. The pulley shaft is 7/8” diameter. That’s the last of the giveaways.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks