• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M925A2 Fuel Tank Cap/Strainer Corrosion

Speedzilla

Hey Guys,

I have been having an issue with my M925A2's fuel tank cap/strainer. Originally my truck had a screw on strainer assembly, it was a steel strainer with what I think was a stainless ring to screw onto the tank. After a few months in storage, I found the strainer to be BADLY rusted. Many pieces of rust and corrosion had entered into the fuel tank. After cleaning the tank, I just stuck the cap itself on the tank without the strainer. Well, a few months later I found, to my surprise, the (I believe brass) fuel cap has some holes in it! It looks like the cap has four plugs in it, zinc I assume, like a boat to be a sacrificial metal for corrosion purposes. Well...it didn't help me much as the holes just allowed rain water into my fuel tank. Now I have to try to figure out a good solution. I don't know why these caps aren't stainless as well! Anyone have any advice to offer or had similar problems?

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Many people run without the strainer. I had the same issue but replaced mine since I tend to drop things in unaccessible places. My cap is in good shape but there are replacements. Most metal caps on metal filler necks are made of a softer metal. This is so the threads on the caps take the wear instead of the ones on the filler neck. The cap can be easily replaced where as the filler neck can't.

The zinc spots are sacrificial and do dissolve over time. Replace or remove the strainer, and replace the cap. You'll be good to go for another 20 years.

FloridaAKM

I had the problem of the brass screen dissolving into the diesel fuel/conditioner mix some how after several years of zero problems. I bought some very fine mesh brass screen & resoldered it to the copper insert & replaced it into the tank. The actual tank cap was in no way affected, just the screen, which I did siphon some bits of it out of the bottom of the tank!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks