• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M925a2 fuel tank rescue

TedCat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Back in april of 2017, I finally purchased my m925a2 near Traverse City Mi. The fuel system lets say was less than desireable and almost not useable, enough to get us through a 260 mile drive to Saline Mi.

The tank had a horrible algae growing and looked like a science experiment not to mention the gallon of water we drained out.

20170318_144633.jpg

The fuel lines had been replaced with a mix of pex brass and galvanized fittings. The project was planned in steps but got out of hand and the tank came off the next day. My biggest issue was cleaning the algae, mineral spirits acetone simple green and 5 other chemicals didnt touch it. Until I found some denatured alcohol. I had 8 quarts on hand and was making my aggitation appuratus when the neighbor suggested E85. We tried and it was a success... and 95% less exspensive.

20170425_200028.jpg

To aid in cleaning 2 full shovel fulls of driveway gravel and 1 gallon of E85 was added and sealed. Pickups removed and plugged as well as rollover vents. I left the old sender in and replaced with a new one. The proccess only went two cycles with 2 water rinses cycles.

20170426_203459.jpg
First run

20170426_212452.jpg
Second run

When the fuel pickup tubes were removed the pickup was rotted out copper and needed to be replaced.

20170417_211243.jpg20170417_211501.jpg

The return was a brass fitting with rotted out rubber hose attached.

20170417_211543.jpg

I changed all the lines to pushlok rubber hose from suggestions on here and had a big problem finding new replacement pickup tubes so I had custom ones out of stainless made.

20170511_182636.jpg
20170511_181926.jpg

The tubes had to be installed prior to installing the tank due to the bed being in the way I found out the hard way.

All said and done it was a month of working and waiting but well worth it. We drove over 2000 miles this year after the tank service with no fuel issues what so ever. If any has a similar problem feel free to reach out for help and suggestions.

71DeuceAK

Great thread! I already saw this on the M939 Facebook group (I'm actually 'friends' with you on there) but this definitely gave me an idea for if I have to do this on a M923 I have a line on...I shouldn't, but this could be adaptable to other models/trucks as well.

74M35A2

Ted did a really good job. The inside of his tank looked surgically clean when done. He's cleverly creative to have around for alternate ideas. Anybody that is able to change the tire on a 9 by digging under it stays on my friend list. :)

CMPPhil

Yes, very good how to post. Particularly like your plywood sandwich approach to rotating the tank without damage to the tank.

Cheers Phil

74M35A2

Last edited:

TedCat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks... I enjoy reading the how to posts so I aimed it tward that... yes, the truck came from Copemish... very interesting place.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks