• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M925A2 NC to AZ: 2400 mile Road Trip...

19kilo

Ok, its finally happening (it must be happening since I've went and bought the tickets), Flying out to Raleigh NC on Monday, then somehow get from the airport there to Halifax NC where the truck is located at. Then after going over it driving it to just north of Phoenix AZ. I've got two general routes I could take. The "higher" road along Interstate 40 most of the way, or the "lower" road along Interstate 95, then I 20, then I 10. I've been looking at the maps online (going to buy a hard copy before I go) and it looks like the lower route is less hilly and somewhat new to me since I've driven most of I 40 several times in the past. The advantage of I 40 is I might be able to time it just right to spend Thanksgiving in OKC depending on the truck and our timing. I say our because I'm taking a friend along to help spell me while driving and also for the company :)

Since were flying and not driving out to the pick up site, I can't bring a ton of tools along, but I just thought I'd ask what some people would recommend we bring. Now this truck is "road ready" as far as Chris could make it in the time he had it and hopefully it gets us all the way home with out any major (or any?) problems. (were flying out on Monday the 22nd)

Also wanted to see who lived along the lower or higher route that would be willing to offer their assistance should we need it. If your willing, please send me a PM along wtih whether your upper or lower and a way to contact you offline :) (phone preferred), also where abouts your located along the route please.

Now depending on the route, I may make changes such as - perhaps on the lower route, leaving I 20 around Augusta, then proceeding thru Macon, Columbus, Montgomery, and back to I 20 around Meridian. This would give me a chance to meet Papabear who I used to chat with a lot when I was first on here :) (provided he'd want me lol)

So while not in a hurry, I'd like to get back around Friday or Saturday, but I've got until Sunday or even Monday afternoon 2ish my time at the latest.

Let me hear your feedback :)
(I'll have to change my avatar when I get back)

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
You are very welcome to stop in and spend as mush time as ya want:smile:
Might have a truck/jeep or two you can look at while you're here.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
19kilo that truck looks like it will be a true pleasure to drive, that is one high quality looking vehicle! One suggestion on the tools, when you get your list put together you might want to ship them down there and pick them up when you arrive, I guarantee it would be cheaper for you to do this and you will not have to mess with trying toget that stuff through security THAT is never a fun time, Good luck and that is one darned sharp looking MV!
KK

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
You are more likely to run into bad weather if you take I-40.

I used to run to CA every week when I was driving a big rig.

If it were me I would run I-85 south to I 20 (in Atlanta) and then run I-20 all the way to where it joins I-10 (east of El Paso) and run I-10 to Phoenix.

Once you get to Alabama it is pretty flat all the way out I-20 (other than some rolling hills..no big mountains).

Just my opinion....your milage may vary.

19kilo

PapaBear, I don't have your address and contact info but a stop along the way would be nice.
Thanks 800 and Karl for those thoughts.
So far Scott, only 1 per route has volunteered :)
Wreckerman, thanks for the advice.. why 85 instead of 95?
thanks M1075.
Well leaving in the morning..lots to do, will check back later.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good luck, Dave. When you get back into AZ, I'll be on standby if you have troubles.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I'm along I-20 as well. Near the state line of GA and AL. Another thing to think about is CSI is in Tallapoosa out here as well. Parts aren't that cheap there, but they're likely to have what you need.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's along haul ahead of you, but I'm glad that "big Rusty" is going to a good home. Hopefully we'll see pics of the completion of Chris's project truck.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Dang, now I'm gonna have to change my avatar. LOL. I must say that it is hard to believe that someone is going to drive that truck across the country considering it was a scrap/residue truck when I got it. I wish David the very best in his adventure and I must say I am a little jealous that he is the one getting to make the journey in my baby. I hope guys along the route will keep chiming in with offers of support just in case.

MDSA

I am 1 mile off of I-40 at exit 107 in Western NC, just east of the "hilly" section of I-40. There are a few hills on I-40, but after you cross the mountains, Tennessee gets relatively flat.

If you come this way and need anything, call me - 828-437-1440

God Bles You with a safe and trouble-free trip.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Well, David and his co-driver made it to the Raleigh airport today. They rented a car at the airport and headed up to John's. Once they got there they spent some time going over the truck, securing parts in the back, and chatting with John. They headed for Raleigh this evening and met my brother, Chad aka oldvw2, at the Wally World in Louisburg, NC. Chad brought them the extra brackets for the battery box relocation kit along with some tools to tighten down a few fittings and get the fuel cap off. They then went into Wally and picked up a few supplies before heading back to the airport to drop off the rental car. Please keep the guys in your thoughts and prayers until they make it safely to AZ. I'll update you guys later when I hear from the crew.

Last edited:

Alredneck

Banned
Hmm, I-40 west is more scenic in my book thoughout the trip.

I-20 suck in west TX, its about as bad as Kansas, nothing forever!

I-10 is cool cause border patrol asks lots of questions and dont like my spanish accent!

Dave hope all goes well, If you can make it to Memphis, TN im about 10miles off I-40 to get some work on your truck done. have plenty of tools. If you need a place to sleep my house is 3miles of I-40 exit 20! It might not be the hilton but at least you will be warm and can get cleaned up and clothes washed. I got two pits who always like company, may chew on ya but its their way of showing they like ya! Cant find that in a Holiday Inn Express![thumbzup]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks