• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M925A2 Rebuild by Red River

Hello, I am looking at a M925A2 that was rebuilt in 2009 by Red River. I had saw a comment by a member before that says to steer clear of any "rebuilds" as they are more trouble that other non reconditioned trucks. Has anyone else had good or bad experiences around rebuilt trucks? Thanks

R Racing

I have a red River m923a1 rebuild. It was a 2011 rebuild. Only issue's I have had were a faulty air line, a bad speedo cable, and a area on a fender where the paint is peeling. Other than that it has been a great truck.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
M925A2
2012 RR Rebuild (bought 2013)
Truck was literally like brand new when I got it, including a full tank of fuel.

Been flawless
Until a few days ago when alternator fried and took ABS module with it.
Replaced PCB before that I'm sure was alternators fault.

Ive heard the stories.
Hasn't been the case with mine.

M923A2 has been same.
Excellent trucks.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Red River was an IROAN site. Quality is hit or miss. Probably a lot more good ones than bad ones.

That being said, I've seen some bad trucks come out of RRAD. Talk to droprat....

RRAD is my last choice for a rebuild. But by no means does this mean that all of them are bad....

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Red River was an IROAN site. Quality is hit or miss. Probably a lot more good ones than bad ones.

That being said, I've seen some bad trucks come out of RRAD. Talk to droprat....

RRAD is my last choice for a rebuild. But by no means does this mean that all of them are bad....
Agreed. I even have had bad ones come out of Kansas. The engine in the 931 that blew was a Blount Island rebuild by Honeywell on the engine. Lasted a whole 300 miles. Oil Cooler was plugged up.

Thanks for the input! To me it seems like its a roll of the dice on a refurbished unit vs a higher mileage or hour unit. Either one could have an issue. If the price is right I would still pick the rebuild.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hour meters and odometer readings don't mean much.

One of the better trucks I've had was an M923A2 showing 1000 hours and 22,000 miles. It had MWO tags, but no rebuild. (It spent it's life crawling around ft bliss as a guntruck)

Lindsey97 has a very nice M923A0 that we put hemtt rims and 16.00R20s on. It'll pull hills as well as an 8.3 A2, even with those tires... It has 2004 CARC dates, but no rebuild tags.

Across the board and generally speaking, the RSMS trucks were the closest to "new" condition of any that I've picked up.

But trucks vary idividually. I have and will bid on everything from never rebuilt, to RRAD, to RSMS. The thing is, an auction truck leaves a lot of things unseen. I know what isn't shown and what to expect between an RSMS truck and an RRAD, and make allowances for that.

A really NICE M925A2 RSMS truck sold today out of Indy for $9k + fees. It's the best one I've seen roll through GP in quite some time.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I picked up a RR rebuilt M818 a few years ago, no miles and I made it to the front gate (1.8 miles) when the oil cooler let go! They forgot one of the o rings! Then last year I picked up a RR M923A1 fresh out of rebuild and it has been perfect! It's just a toss of the dice!!!

Csm Davis

Honestly I prefer a truck with 5000 miles or more from rebuild at any of the rebuild sites because by then 99% of the bugs have been worked out. I have seen many and owned many rebuilt trucks and you don't honestly know if your truck was ever rebuilt or not, unless you have a rebuild tag or the complete maintenance record for the truck because there were hundreds if not thousands rebuilt through the RSMS program that did not receive a rebuild tag, I know for a fact that Camp Shelby didn't rebuild tag until around 2009, don't hold me firm on the date, but it was around then when they got the tag making machine. The best advice I have ever got is to buy one with some miles on it so you know the bugs are worked out. I was told this buy the head inspector at RSMS Camp Shelby and from my experience it has held true.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

TehTDK

Sorry if I am stealing the thread. But as a continentalist I am confused by the acronyms IROAN, RSMS RRAD are they sites/army bases or shortened versions of the name of the rebuild programs.

Gunzy

Red River trucks only get rebuilt drive train components as needed. Otherwise they will get full service and inspection, new tires, repaint and any outstanding MWOs. Some of the other overhaul facilities will replace entire drivetrain with new or O/H'd on an overhaul. I have an M985 HEMTT that went to Oshkosh in 2001 for a "0" reset/recap program which means it was stripped to bare frame and rebuilt as new and odo/hour meters were reset to "0". RRAD=Red River Army Depot. Not sure of RSMS or IROAN.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Go back and do a search. I posted on this long ago. First, the RRAD trucks are NOT rebuilt. Someone posted a PowerPoint that showed what they did, but basically they prettied up the truck and repaired anything they found. But, they did not overhaul the trucks, which is what a rebuild implies. The repaired part is questionable in my opinion. I have had many RRAD trucks...which, no matter how many is no doubt a small sample size...BUT I have not been impressed. Would I get another? Definitely, but I'd inspect it carefully. I have had RRAD trucks with, among other things, a noisy accessory drive, a valve tap, a head gasket that blew shortly after I got, a leaking rear engine main seal, a transmission that needed some "adjustments" (different springs), crushed hoods that were popped out (that could not be seen in the pics)...on and on. Most of these issues were on DIFFERENT trucks. Still, I'd grab one, but I would want to inspect it, which I don't think is as common anymore, and/or get it for a reasonable price. To be forthcoming, I did NOT inspect because they looked like no brainers. :(

Gunzy

I have seen RRAD trucks sell out of Utah through GP in the $10k-15K range. The people paying that obviously have no clue as to what they are buying in my opinion.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One additional point. What makes the RRAD trucks so attractive, in my opinion, is all the nice new stuff that is usually found on them (new seats, new windshields, new tires, recent paint). The paint is also what I consider to be a weakness. The paint could also be a weakness as could hide things and may make it look like something it is not. The motors are especially problematic in my opinion because they look either new or rebuilt and often are nothing more than original engines that are repainted. I once had a RRAD M928A2 that had a sweet looking engine. Well, it had a pretty noisy valve tap. I am not trying to slam anyone's trucks. I've seen some that come out that truly are mint. A good friend has a RRAD M923A1 that had a new motor in it, new cab, new hood, new bed, and all the usual nice stuff. It was truly a nice truck.