• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M925A2 Running Cold

Steelreaper80

My truck was running hot due to a bad thermostat. I ordered the correct part and picked it up directly from Cummins, changed the water pump, flushed the radiator and motor, and have the proper coolant and additive package. I also replaced the shutterstat. Both the shutterstat and thermostat are 195 degrees. Now my truck is running at 165 degrees at both idle and highway speed while loaded. I know it has gotten cold out and I am hoping that is the problem. I ordered a winter front for the truck and it will be here tomorrow. I have noticed it does heat up if I am going light to light in traffic a tad but once I get back up to speed, the temp drops back to 165. Is it just too much cold airflow on the radiator? The heater core is blowing warm air. Not hot, not cold. I have not had a spare moment to check with the IR temp gun yet but will as soon as I can. Any ideas?

Steelreaper80

Like you, I suspect it's just due to cold ambient temps and lots of airflow.
That is what I was thinking. I know diesels don't put a lot of heat into the coolant, they are designed to be run hard under load, and just, in my opinion, the radiator seems huge for a little 8.3 liter. Is it the same rad for the NHC-250?

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
That is what I was thinking. I know diesels don't put a lot of heat into the coolant, they are designed to be run hard under load, and just, in my opinion, the radiator seems huge for a little 8.3 liter. Is it the same rad for the NHC-250?
Is your fan clutch engaged all the time? The fan should spin freely on the hub with the engine off/cold. The clutch could be locked up or your new fan clutch solenoid could be faulty. If the clutch turns freely, then you could disconnect the air supply line to the clutch and start the engine cold to see if air is coming out of the supply line.

If everything is working normally and ambient temps are cold, it does take a while for those trucks to get up to normal operating temps. The 8.3 doesn’t make a lot of heat without a load on it.

The 8.3 and NHC-250 rads are interchangeable, but the lower bracket is not. I found that out the hard way on my M925A2 project.

Steelreaper80

Is your fan clutch engaged all the time? The fan should spin freely on the hub with the engine off/cold. The clutch could be locked up or your new fan clutch solenoid could be faulty. If the clutch turns freely, then you could disconnect the air supply line to the clutch and start the engine cold to see if air is coming out of the supply line.

If everything is working normally and ambient temps are cold, it does take a while for those trucks to get up to normal operating temps. The 8.3 doesn’t make a lot of heat without a load on it.

The 8.3 and NHC-250 rads are interchangeable, but the lower bracket is not. I found that out the hard way on my M925A2 project.
New fan clutch. Not spinning until 195 degrees. Truck is under load pulling an M322 trailer and 15,000 lb skid steer with 3,000 lbs in the bed. Everything is working as it should. I am hoping it is just the cold.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
New fan clutch. Not spinning until 195 degrees. Truck is under load pulling an M322 trailer and 15,000 lb skid steer with 3,000 lbs in the bed. Everything is working as it should. I am hoping it is just the cold.
Did up verify temp with infrared gun or just trusting the gauge?

You may have to go to the 205 thermostat and shutterstat

Steelreaper80

Well with warmer temps today, it idled up to 195 and lowered a bit going down the road down to 175ish. Light to light it ran at normal temps. I would say everything is fine, I guess it will just be time for the winterfront.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks