• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M925a2 towing capacity

GMOSC

I am trying to find a new truck, I am looking at m925's. I recently found one close, looks good in pictures. Low milage and recent rebuild interest me, the only problem- question that arose is the actual towing capacity on the road. The seller told me he tows his 20,000lb machine with it. No idea of the trailer weight, but I would guess the trailer is probably all of 5000lbs, should I be worried and not even consider this truck? I think both ways, at least I know it moves some decent weight and is fully functional. The other side to that is has anything been stressed/ damaged by such large tows. In the end what can a truck like this reasonably toe on the road? Any input is much appreciated.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I regularly flat towed other 5-tons weighing 21-23000 lbs with my M923 and M925, but that is with brakes hooked up on the towed truck. No issues with engine or drive train, and the temps were in the normal range. You just need to expect slower speeds on hills and much longer stopping distances. The manual says pintle towed max is 15,000 lbs, but that assumes worst case off-road towing. If they still published on-road capacities, it would probably be 30,000lbs.

The little pintle I bought at Tractor Supply for my pickup has a GTW limit of 20,000 lbs.

ETA: Noticed you stated an A2, my experiences above were with the basic models with dual tires. However, I've also flat-towed a number of 5-tons with my M931A2 with no issues either.

Last edited:

Ford Mechanic

I've regularly had 5-9 tons in the bed of mine hauling dirt and rock. These are heavy trucks designed to haul big loads that's why they ride and shift so harsh when empty.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wouldn't be a bit scared of it. You can figure this truck in a wrecker will be grossing around 60,000 with another 5 ton in tow.

M925A2 with dump hoist

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
20160819_080703.jpeg20160805_175652.jpeg

Pintle is rated for 50 tons. Make sure it is lubed up first. Cause the metal will eat. The D4 dozer is 12k. Trailer is 12k. Truck is 26k

Lower picture is 71k. And its a non turbo. You will get more power on hills. Just dont abuse em. Take care of them, cuss at them when they make you mad, but at the end of the day she will always get u home regardless of the variant

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I wouldn't be a bit scared of it. You can figure this truck in a wrecker will be grossing around 60,000 with another 5 ton in tow.

M925A2 with dump hoist
You ever seen a m936 tow a m936. Might as well get out and walk.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter

M925A2 with dump hoist
To clarify... My answer to the OP's first question. I wouldn't be scared to buy the truck due the possibility of being damaged from towing 25k trailers.

Also, sort of an answer to the title and second question.
I regularly gross around 48k, however not pulling a trailer.
After getting up to about 10 mph the truck accelerates just fine up to top speed, and will hold 55 mph on moderate hills.
Just going by the feel and behavior of the truck, in my opinion this is getting close to the max for the brakes of the truck itself stopping normally with the big single tires. However towing a truck or trailer with good working brakes you should be capable of quite a bit more

M925A2 with dump hoist

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You ever seen a m936 tow a m936. Might as well get out and walk.

**** I can almost get out and walk with just the M936A2......... I'm still waiting for someone to post 0-50mph times so I can determine if mines a dog, or a snail.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
**** I can almost get out and walk with just the M936A2......... I'm still waiting for someone to post 0-50mph times so I can determine if mines a dog, or a snail.
I do know that my A1 towing my m322 can't run down any A2 except a wrecker. Which can't even get out of it's own way.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No zero to 50 times, yet... I do wonder if your 936 has a problem? I was shocked at how well my truck pulls loaded to 46-48k vs 24k empty. However anything over 50k and it really starts to suffer.

M925A2 with dump hoist

Csm Davis

View attachment 643056View attachment 643057

Pintle is rated for 50 tons. Make sure it is lubed up first. Cause the metal will eat. The D4 dozer is 12k. Trailer is 12k. Truck is 26k

Lower picture is 71k. And its a non turbo. You will get more power on hills. Just dont abuse em. Take care of them, cuss at them when they make you mad, but at the end of the day she will always get u home regardless of the variant

Hey I recognize that 2nd picture. I moved a couple hundred wreckers with a 5 ton wrecker and broke a lot of parts but none of the drivetrain. If you can tear up a 5 ton by over loading it, it would be over 60,000 load which is going to be over weight for normal on road pulling (80,000 total truck and load is max without a overweight permit in most states) I have loggers pulling 100,000+ every day with very few problems.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks