• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M925A2 Trailer Made From M923A1 Truck

74M35A2

No, we just dragged it in park. No wonder why I got 2mpg. Now the tires are square. :driver:

Yes, seller had the brakes released already to move the truck around as he parted out the front end. He was generous enough to leave the studs and nuts in the brake chambers. I'll need to route glad hand hoses to the service and emergency sides of the brake chambers and up the tongue to my truck.

74M35A2

We scrapped out a 24V walk-behind type forklift at work due to battery age, so I swiped the hydro pump and tank. Nice units, made for continuous run. With this, I ordered a hydraulic valve with built in switches, so I can just push the control lever up or down and it will turn on the pump and a hinged hydraulic cylinder will be the tongue jack to line up the pintle effortlessly. Will have 2 batteries on board the trailer with solar chargers, and will also charge off the truck when connected. http://www.baileyhydraulics.com/Chi...switches-4-way-3-pos-Tandem-Center-Max-GPM-10

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Pretty amazing build. Too bad you're not closer I'd sell you the 20 foot bed off the M927. I got the whole trailer up for sale in the classifieds (see pics on page 2 of this thread). I also have a 20 foot ISO bed off a Marine Corps truck but I may take the 5th wheel of the M927A2 and put the ISO bed on it. If I do that the 16 foot dropside bed will be for sale. Still selling stuff to finance my movie.:mrgreen:

JohnnyBM931A2

We scrapped out a 24V walk-behind type forklift at work due to battery age, so I swiped the hydro pump and tank. Nice units, made for continuous run. With this, I ordered a hydraulic valve with built in switches, so I can just push the control lever up or down and it will turn on the pump and a hinged hydraulic cylinder will be the tongue jack to line up the pintle effortlessly. Will have 2 batteries on board the trailer with solar chargers, and will also charge off the truck when connected. http://www.baileyhydraulics.com/Chi...switches-4-way-3-pos-Tandem-Center-Max-GPM-10
Cool :)

74M35A2

....should be, as long as I don't have my foot under it when I lower the cylinder/jack. I hope it works well and others can copy it.

74M35A2

Thanks. Will look better once I shorten the front frame rails and fold them into a tongue. Here is the hydraulic valve for the tongue jack cylinder:

Attachments

74M35A2

As always, somebody beat me to it, likely because I take longer than a year to get anything done. In the background of this pic found on an eBay ad for an M35a2, is the setup I want to make: A M923/5Ax trailer made from an M923/5Ax truck, connected to an M923/5Ax truck, so it matches the truck in size and wheel arrangement. Click pic to zoom for better detail:

9 trailer.jpg

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You do realize this threads almost two years old don’t you?

But seriously thanks for bumping this cool dinosaur up, don’t know how I missed it?

With all your soon to be, new found power, I’m thinking hydraulic pump mounted on the trucks rear pinion, and hydraulic motor on the trailer pinion to drive your trailer axles.

I’m also liking the 8.3 powered trailer idea mentioned earlier! If only someone had a good 8.3 and trans to throw on there...

Simp would be sure to avoid you, even when he puts his big cam in.

tobyS

Covers for removing the axles are relatively easy to make from dished steel air tank heads and a flange. Then if you want to power it, put them back in.

big block 88

Im thinkin you being a hydraulic loving fella. Why not run quick connects on the back of the truck and run hydraulic motor hooked to the shaft on the trailer. How one would find the proper rpm and get it to mesh with the trucks is beyond me. Thats fur yous smurt fellers.

or you know. Just run a shaft from the rear adle pto flange.... easy and would work very well with a couple carriers and cv's

Last edited:

tobyS

I was thinking the best place to come off for a rear hydraulic drive is the transfer case...then realized the RPM is nothing when you really need it, slow and steady. Same problem with hooking to rear drive shaft.

Last edited:

big block 88

If you are running a shaft off the rear axle drive flange why would you have rpm issues? Maybe im thinking wrong but the shaft speed would be on the money to run to the trailers acxles that would have the same gearing, so its no differnet than just adding a couple axles to the oroginal trucks frame... right?

red

If you are running a shaft off the rear axle drive flange why would you have rpm issues? Maybe im thinking wrong but the shaft speed would be on the money to run to the trailers acxles that would have the same gearing, so its no differnet than just adding a couple axles to the oroginal trucks frame... right?
If running it as a driveshaft connection (no hydraulics) then yes the trailer axles would spin at the same speed as the truck axles always. Hard part of that idea though is designing the truck/trailer driveshaft to allow enough movement to not limit the trailer hitch movement. Side-side, up-down, rotate left-right, and not limit the rear axle movement on the truck. That is a complicated design.

Limiting the trailer movement would make it easier. Eliminate the pintle rotate capability and reduce the side-side/up-down movement range. That would make for a much simpler design. Not exactly simple, but easier at least.

red

Got pics of their design? and do they rotate?

There was a video I saw on youtube of a gooseneck trailer with it's axles powered by driveshaft (went up through the gooseneck on the trailer) so with the right design it's certainly possible.

74M35A2

You guys are in outer space. Can’t it just be a trailer? Already have it, and the de-splined hub caps. This is a spring project.