• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m925a2

ger84

Hi all- I have a M925a2 . Been messing with the truck for years and its been fun. I have used the winch for stupid things and pulling cars from out of ditches and always worked with out a problem. I was "playing" and was trying to use my winch to pull a tree down when cutting it. Noticed that when winching the winch stopped turning... its like it was maxed out (i was expecting to either break a sheer pin or cable before the winch just stopped moving) and the truck wasn't pulled into the tree like I expected. either I did win in the end vs the tree however am I missing something. That winch should have either dragged the truck to the tree or pulled the tree down! The truck wasn't anchored other than the brakes were on. I was on grass! I checked the TM's about procedure of using the winch and think I did it right... its either in gear or not for the winch to spin or not spin and then inside the truck the handle engages or disengages the winch. I left it in neutral and also put in gear with no difference and yes I did give it some throttle so the winch would spin... any insight would be appreciated... I will see if I have video clip I can put on this weekend.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hi all- I have a M925a2 . Been messing with the truck for years and its been fun. I have used the winch for stupid things and pulling cars from out of ditches and always worked with out a problem. I was "playing" and was trying to use my winch to pull a tree down when cutting it. Noticed that when winching the winch stopped turning... its like it was maxed out (i was expecting to either break a sheer pin or cable before the winch just stopped moving) and the truck wasn't pulled into the tree like I expected. either I did win in the end vs the tree however am I missing something. That winch should have either dragged the truck to the tree or pulled the tree down! The truck wasn't anchored other than the brakes were on. I was on grass! I checked the TM's about procedure of using the winch and think I did it right... its either in gear or not for the winch to spin or not spin and then inside the truck the handle engages or disengages the winch. I left it in neutral and also put in gear with no difference and yes I did give it some throttle so the winch would spin... any insight would be appreciated... I will see if I have video clip I can put on this weekend.
Well... The theory you mentioned should have been correct. The truck should have pulled toward the tree - or the tree should have fallen. On the other hand, you may have hit a bump in the road. There may be a sheared pin in the winch. There might also be a check valve that could have been screaming.

The winch is powered by the PTO. Hydraulics drive the winch.

Yeah, maybe a picture or several and/or a video?

ger84

yes if the weather is nice out then I will try to do a few pics/videos. It seems everything works but has no "balls" when actually in use which I had a m35a2 and was awesome and had to buy extra sheer pins (haha).. I expected more out of my m925a2 and is defintily not the case. I checked hydro fluid and that seemed to be of proper level. any input where a check valvle would be? I mean it either is open or closed. thanks for your input

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your transmission needs to be in neutral for the pto to spin while the truck is stationary. You could check your hydraulic pressure to make sure is adjusted correctly, but these hydraulic winches are pretty gutless, at least with the drum nearly full of cable. My winch will not drag my truck at full pressure (I have a permanent gauge installed), on a single line, if traction is decent and I have my foot on the brake to lock the front wheels.

ger84

Your transmission needs to be in neutral for the pto to spin while the truck is stationary. You could check your hydraulic pressure to make sure is adjusted correctly, but these hydraulic winches are pretty gutless, at least with the drum nearly full of cable. My winch will not drag my truck at full pressure (I have a permanent gauge installed), on a single line, if traction is decent and I have my foot on the brake to lock the front wheels.
Yes- I tried both neutral with brake applied and just the parking brake applied and in gear while going in reverse so the rpms are going... and still nothing.

I had half the spool out... probably about 150 ish ft... I was thinking of doubling it up but wasn't in the mood to take the pulley out and go up the tree 50 ft and put it through lol

Where do I adjust and check hydraulic pressure? i would assume its "easy" to adjust... lol

I see you put a dump on your truck... is it fully hydraulic or electric pump?

Glad a bought a M1070 (looking forward to using those winches) hopefully they are more exciting. lol

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
IMG_7800.jpg
Also when pulling trees over, or any other extreme work, it’s safest for you and the truck to use the rear pintle.IMG_7805.jpg
Several tons of weight in the bed helps.IMG_7804.jpg

ger84

yeah I tried using the pintle on smaller trees and worked fine but wanted directional and constant pressure so when I cut the tree half way I could just pull it down "controlled"

also a rope of 150ft i don't have I need like 2" rope and I only have 1" ropes which is about 100ft +/-

I also had a some stuff on the cable line incase it broke/snapped (tried to be careful) haha

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes- I tried both neutral with brake applied and just the parking brake applied and in gear while going in reverse so the rpms are going... and still nothing.

I had half the spool out... probably about 150 ish ft... I was thinking of doubling it up but wasn't in the mood to take the pulley out and go up the tree 50 ft and put it through lol

Where do I adjust and check hydraulic pressure? i would assume its "easy" to adjust... lol

I see you put a dump on your truck... is it fully hydraulic or electric pump?

Glad a bought a M1070 (looking forward to using those winches) hopefully they are more exciting. lol
Engine RPM will not effect the PTO while the transmission is in gear, unless the transmission/tires are turning, and they will have to be turning quite fast to visibly see the rotation of the winch drum.

The pressure is adjusted by shimming the pressure relief valve. This can be found “somewhere” in my dump bed install.

ger84

Engine RPM will not effect the PTO while the transmission is in gear, unless the transmission/tires are turning, and they will have to be turning quite fast to visibly see the rotation of the winch drum.

The pressure is adjusted by shimming the pressure relief valve. This can be found “somewhere” in my dump bed install.

oh yeah I had the tires spinning - I was playing and yes had them spinning long enough to have the drum move but like i said the drum just stopped... and didn't even spin a inch a minute. I had the truck throttled up with foot brake on and in neutral and the winch was tight and then nothing... truck didn't get pulled into tree and made me think... if i get stuck this winch will not help me! its pulled my jeep out and pulled stumps onto trailers however.... i am concerned that there is a problem

thx

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just don’t go over the max specified pressure, as I don’t think these winches have a shear pin. IIRC it’s 1750psi +- 50, but you’ll want to verify with the TM.
I think max engine RPM while using the PTO is 1800rpm as well.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks