• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M929 Big cam 400

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
[QUOTE=MidnightDuramax I would have to rent a forklift or get a neighbor to help with a loader.

I would think a rolling gantry and chain hoist would be your better bet.

Stevepala

No matter how much I measured I needed to remove and replace the motor at least 4 times. Best way is to leave the trannie out until the final install.

Make sure you find the exact location of the center of the crank snout. That will help you determine its location with the new motor mount and how much of the crossmember to chop out.

PM me your number and I can call you if you like to discuss.

Vintage iron

Hey Steve I am doing my Cummins 290/350 before the Sussex show. I would like to come see you and take some measurements. I will be in Conn. on Monday. Give you a call later today.

Hawssie

Whats the difference between the NHC250 and the big cam as far as block dimensions. That goes for the cummins 855 350hp that I am thinking about using myself. Arent they all around 14 liters? I know the height is different due to Jakes. My doner cummins is a water cooled cooler design like the 8.3s so I thought it would be pretty easy to install in these trucks. But all my 939s are A2s so I have never really checked out the NHC250. Do they use a SAE number 1 or 2 bellhousing?

Stevepala

I found only two difference in the 250 and the BC400.

The big cam rear cam bearing journal is larger in diameter then the 250. This effects the location of one of the bell housing bolts. So to use the original 250 bell housing you must enlarge the one hole in the bell housing which is no big deal with a die grinder.

The front motor mount on the big cam is an OTR commercial truck type so you need to mod the frame to accept it.

I found all the dimension to be the same.

The extremely large big cam turbo causes a clearance problem with the 929's cab heater. But the high pitch whine of the turbo makes up for the lack of heat. I have not resolved this yet.

Just make sure you find a BC1, 2, or 3. The big cam 4 had a low flow cooling system that was a problem in these late model big cams.

Hawssie

no big deal I can do it all you really need to do is measure between 2 of the bolts. The reason I ask is because I have a couple of different engines to pick from and one of them I would like to use in place of the original, The CAT C12 has a #2 bell housing and the Cummins has a #1. I was originally going to ditch the Allison, but if its holding up under a 400 then maybe not.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks