• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M929 Dump trucks with increased capacity prototype bed?

spartan_185

Hello again everyone. I seen some M929s sell at Ft. Riley today with a different type of bed on them. I noticed that the sides were taller and they did not have a tail gate. They also seem to be very heavily built. Does anyone have any info on what these beds were designed for and if they were one off custom beds, or if they were a prototype for a possible improvement to the series? I bought one due to how cheap they went vs the many other M929's they have been selling here lately. They are definitely an interesting piece. I ended up with the green M929A2 with a hard top.

Attachments

JxxxOxxxE

id be interested to know...i just bought a 929a2 out of Norman back in September. Paid more than I wanted but its a real clean truck with only 2700 miles...

I've got the materials to build sideboards to help increase the capacity, but haven't built them yet...

i see you've got a 930, id love to get some info about the winch setup on it from you...

Last edited:

spartan_185

id be interested to know...i just bought a 929a2 out of Norman back in September. Paid more than I wanted but its a real clean truck with only 2700 miles...

I've got the materials to build sideboards to help increase the capacity, but haven't built them yet...

i see you've got a 930, id love to get some info about the winch setup on it from you...
I think I remember watching that truck. It was really clean. The 930's winch setup is really close to the M925's setup. It feeds off of the bed pump and tank and uses a separate valve for the winch. I can give further details if you need them.

JxxxOxxxE

I think I remember watching that truck. It was really clean. The 930's winch setup is really close to the M925's setup. It feeds off of the bed pump and tank and uses a separate valve for the winch. I can give further details if you need them.
Thanks, ill send you a pm so I don't clutter up this thread.....

back to the bed, was there a capacity listed in the description?

M35A2 KAISER

I was at Riley today to pick up a 929 and saw these beds on the truck next to ours. Not only are they incresed capacity they are built good and heavy, like a miniture quarry truck bed.

JxxxOxxxE

So is it the same length as a regular 929 bed? Just with higher sides, and no tailgate?

I added sideboards to my 929 today...I wonder what the capacity is with 20" of sideboards, i guess some simple measurements and math is in order......

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
So is it the same length as a regular 929 bed? Just with higher sides, and no tailgate?

I added sideboards to my 929 today...I wonder what the capacity is with 20" of sideboards, i guess some simple measurements and math is in order......
A lot more then "Just with higher sides, and no tailgate?"
These beds ARE Extreme HEAVY DUTY beds with a replaceable lined floor, rounded side to floor corners to keep rock, broke concrete, ect. from bridging and hanging up, heavily reinforced sides to keep them from blowing out when BIG rock hits them when loaded by a operator that does NOT know how to load BIG rock.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You could fashion a tailgate like most quarry trucks have if you wanted. They hinge way back on the bed and have a chain that is tied to the frame so when you raise the bed it automatically opens.

spartan_185

Just an update guys. We got the truck home last week. She runs like a top and the bed is something to behold. It is definitely heavier duty than any M929 or M817 bed I have ever seen. It has a telescoping Hyco hoist and a HEIL dump bed with at least a 1/4" steel liner in the bottom of the bed. It looks like we may be able to add a tailgate pretty easily. Of course it also came with about 1/2 of a yard of Kansas fill dirt and grass. It seems that these were definitely a unit modification at some time, and they were well utilized.

Attachments

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Is the frame doubled or reinforced, are the rear springs heavier

spartan_185

Is the frame doubled or reinforced, are the rear springs heavier
The sub-frame that the bed sits on has been reinforced in areas. The suspension remains the same. That being said, Many of us have found that the suspension on these trucks can carry way more that the military ever rated them for. It really seems to me that this is the appropriate size bed for one of these trucks vs the factory bed.I love my M930 but the bed has always seemed a little small without sideboards. This truck definitely started life as a M929A2 and there's still evidence of the old hoist mechanism on the frame.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
In vn we had m51s with side boards clean up to the headboard, we would load these trucks till material fell off the side boards, tailgate, and even the headboard, never saw a broken spring or frame.

fiat41b

HI this is my first post
i drove a m931a2 the other day its been converted with a dump from another 6x6 it drove 65mph as well as my f350 ford pick up has 13000 miles with tall singles
i have a rock job where we are going to have to drill and blast 20000 yards its for a new rifle range, 400yds long all the cut is in the first 400 feet my d9h and d8k will move alot at first but the push will get to far, with using these types of trucks i dont know how much that standard bed can handle i would increase the side boards
surely there has to be more of these rock beds out there.
So where could one find those types of dump beds. a little bit more capacity would be nice.
i use to have a couple big cat d400's and 50ton Payhauler but i sold them off
i have a long reach pc400 exc. with a 3.5 yard bucket i thought these trucks would work great for hauling mud from dredging ponds ect. and short haul distance. and not cut the ground up as bad a those heavy trucks those beds would make them more universal.
hopefully i will get this truck in the next few days.

tobyS

I looked at putting one of those beds on an M931A2 that I had. At Indy the beds are selling $10k-12k alone....they are very similar.

You did good.

I wanted to preserve my ability to put bows and a top on my 929 so made these sides. Note...I run all the time with my tail gate down.

Attachments

Last edited:

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The ground pressure will likely be no better on these trucks after you add more hauling capacity. Also with the A2, all except the easiest conditions you will need to run in low range, and if you have drivers that are not careful, they will blow the transfer cases out when reversing.
I run 8-10 yard on my M925A2 and it will cut ruts in dry ground after a few passes. I also almost always run low range when loaded off road due to how hard it is to get the A2’s turbo to spool past the torque converters stall speed, starting out, also due to the excessive amount of heat generated by the transmission when working hard in high range.

tobyS

If my truck had more capacity....the TC would be in parts on the ground.

I agree with Jbulach. There is no way to keep from using low range while backing. I'm about to have fuel turned up in hopes of operating in high range, but not holding my breath.

Tires made big difference....went from 14.00 to 395 XZL.

fiat41b

well ok
thanks i am new to this
i do know about over loading example: brand new 40 ton caterpillar 740's that are 40 tons
we had a coal mine job i was a sub to a big outfit they had all new stuff well there 740 were constantly over heating the trans and the trucks had to sit for a few minutes to cool then go again we were in Illinois dirt. heavy wet topsoil and high moist yellow clay so many deep ruts the dozers got a work out for sure.
the cat engineers from Peoria were always coming ad going it was a big job 26 haul trucks and more well a 5110 cat Exc. was loading it had a 10 yd bucket
the problem was the weight of material they were over loading the trucks.
Cat set up a scale and started to weigh them way over loaded for the rated capacity.
Back to those Rock beds are they available some where in Indianappolis
they would still be nice to have for that rock job there is enough money in the bid to purchase 2 of those beds 2 trucks would do the job not a lot of room for the big construction trucks on this job site.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks