• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M929 Dump trucks with increased capacity prototype bed?

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A loaded 740 is about 2-1/2 times my weight loaded. I’d bet a dollar the 740 has at least 2-1/2 times the rubber on the ground. If you looking at a job and comparing a 740 to a couple of 5tons, thats like comparing a shot glass full of sea monkeys to a gorilla. As far as abuse, overloading/overheating I’ll take the Cat any day.
If you want to give these trucks a try, I think someone has a bunch of 929’s in the classifieds here, or check C&C Equipment out of Nashville, IN. He always has a bunch of 5 tons with big commercial beds on them, or M916 or M917 that may suit your work better.

tobyS

well ok
thanks i am new to this
i do know about over loading example: brand new 40 ton caterpillar 740's that are 40 tons
we had a coal mine job i was a sub to a big outfit they had all new stuff well there 740 were constantly over heating the trans and the trucks had to sit for a few minutes to cool then go again we were in Illinois dirt. heavy wet topsoil and high moist yellow clay so many deep ruts the dozers got a work out for sure.
the cat engineers from Peoria were always coming ad going it was a big job 26 haul trucks and more well a 5110 cat Exc. was loading it had a 10 yd bucket
the problem was the weight of material they were over loading the trucks.
Cat set up a scale and started to weigh them way over loaded for the rated capacity.
Back to those Rock beds are they available some where in Indianappolis
they would still be nice to have for that rock job there is enough money in the bid to purchase 2 of those beds 2 trucks would do the job not a lot of room for the big construction trucks on this job site.
That is the problem...the weight of the material. If you give them room to put it, they will.

Does your truck(s) have to look good or just do the work without a big investment? Would a couple of older 817's work?

Yea, new beds are stocked in Indy only a couple miles south of the old GL site. I like the end push hyd but if the stuff is sticky, better have at least partially double acting.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
You can contact some of the surplus dealers that have put the larger 19yd beds on the long wheel base 927 and 934 chassis trucks for extended capacity. I did one on a 934 a few years ago. 20ft bed with 7ft tall sides. Close to 38 yards. It was only used for hauling mulch offroad and sand. I would go for the LWB truck with the extended capacity beds over a SWB truck. Or make the sides taller but the springs will break after awhile. I wouldn't even consider an A2 truck for working anything remotely hard.

or go with a M917 type truck. a LWB modified truck will be about the same cost as a m917.

Attachments

tobyS

Fiat41b, There were many different types, some with a metal that they claim to be more "rock resistant". I wasn't looking for specific "rock" as in extremely large or chunks of concrete that would need a lot of reinforcement (like Bret's). I think I was at Fruehauf, which were mounting many styles.

The OP bed is nicely reinforced. It will obviously take a beating and not bend as easily....it does make my 929A2 seem quite light duty.

I've had my 5 ton to the point that it was fully loaded and can't imagine having an additional 40-50% on it.....safely.

I have to go with Wes on the 939 series limits.

fiat41b

Those beds in Spartans pics look to be real tough and just about right for rock,concrete,logs dirt ect.
if that's what is in indy i want to see them in person as i will be going thru there anywayT
The bed on this first truck I'm going get was off an older model dump really the headache looks a bit short as it only covers half the cab roof will have to weld a decent looking extension on it, if i keep that bed. looks ok just something i noticed right off

fiat41b

Tobys previous question
would 817 work yes they would work
do you have any
are they any stronger or heavier duty again I'm new and dont know good or bad on these things yet
a friend of mine said he found 2 military dumps 10,000 each they still have the 11.00 x 20 wheels/tires set up which is ok
they are cummins 250 with 5 speed stick i think he said
i have some pics on my phone these look a bit used lol.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Tobys previous question
would 817 work yes they would work
do you have any
are they any stronger or heavier duty again I'm new and dont know good or bad on these things yet
a friend of mine said he found 2 military dumps 10,000 each they still have the 11.00 x 20 wheels/tires set up which is ok
they are cummins 250 with 5 speed stick i think he said
i have some pics on my phone these look a bit used lol.
The m39 and m809 series trucks were meant to be worked hard. Alot of them you can beat em up , throw em away in the woods for years and pull em out down the road and they are ready to go again.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

fiat41b

those other 2 trucks must be 817 they have air cleaner on the left side fender

Wish i could see more pictures of these trucks at work the king of loads they are carrying and what it looks like after its dumped ( size of pile)
If any of you would have any pics to share would be nice to see.

162tcat

those other 2 trucks must be 817 they have air cleaner on the left side fender

Wish i could see more pictures of these trucks at work the king of loads they are carrying and what it looks like after its dumped ( size of pile)
If any of you would have any pics to share would be nice to see.
These aren't great for moving lots of material, bed is small. Now, if you need a site truck that will do good off-road the 817 or 929 would be great. They are just to small and slow to compete with any commercial dump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tobyS

Sorry, no pics in action with a full load. Here is my first dump (an 817) and above is my second, an M929A2.

I hauled about 120 loads of demo debris with the 817 and recently hauled about 80 of foundation stone and gravel fill with the 929. They haul about 2/3-3/4 of the big triaxle but really come through in tight areas or going off road. Loaded they will do about 50 mph (about a mile to get there), but my 929 needs both the RPM and fuel turned up. A round trip 15 miles one way takes me about 5 minutes longer than a road truck (I hired one to help on the last demo).

Are they comfortable??? NO

Tires make a lot of difference. The super singles will get you in and out of a muddy and soft area but the duals are more stable. The front on my 817 never failed to do it's job when needed, although I would have liked more floatation.

I can't imagine finding a more capable truck (for the money) if off roading is a necessary part of the job. If I'm not mistaken, the backing in low reverse is NOT an issue on the 817 like it is the 939 series.

Attachments

Last edited:

tobyS

Thanks... I'll see if I can find more info about where I was looking at the beds.

It could be Kenworth of Indianapolis on South Holt Road or Palmer trucks...they seem to be one and the same. When I was there they had a lot more beds than the Google map shows. Also they have a lot of used ones. Still....I don't know about "rock" beds....you might want to call them.

Myself....I'd buy the 817 ready to go.

Last edited:

fiat41b

ok great
a couple years ago i owned a 1943 willys it had a 1942 ford gpw engine
drive train as good had a later tranny it was baby blue when i got it i painted it olive drab i ran good and was fun
but when i drove that 6x6 that was awesome feeling.

tobyS

Are there more available like the one Spartan posted? I believe one could overload it, but it sure would take a beating.

Good luck fiat. PM me if I can help in your search. I buy and resell these 5 ton trucks as my hobby.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks