• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M929. what the heck is going on with the prices?

Fixx

So I am new to 5 ton world and have purchased 3 trucks so far. 2 m925 and a M928a3. I just tried to buy a M929, because a dump truck would be awesome, but holy carp they go for crazy prices. a good one cost as much as what I paid for my 3 other trucks combined. Is there a way to just retrofit the ones I have now to make them into dump trucks. i figure for 10k I could do a lot of work. All 3 have winches. couldn't i just tap into that hydrolic pump to power a ram that would lift the bed? anyone ever done this?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
....... a good one cost as much as what I paid for my 3 other trucks combined......
Ahh, ehh.... Maybe you bought those three too cheap....??? :p How much was it that Uncle Sam paid for each of them....?? I mean for each of the winches alone....???:-?

G.

Last edited:
So I am new to 5 ton world and have purchased 3 trucks so far. 2 m925 and a M928a3. I just tried to buy a M929, because a dump truck would be awesome, but holy carp they go for crazy prices. a good one cost as much as what I paid for my 3 other trucks combined. Is there a way to just retrofit the ones I have now to make them into dump trucks. i figure for 10k I could do a lot of work. All 3 have winches. couldn't i just tap into that hydrolic pump to power a ram that would lift the bed? anyone ever done this?
Fixx,
Find a M929 that is a salvage truck and has a bed. See if you can get that cheaper, fit the dump bed to one of your M925's, and you now have your dump truck. Have I ever done this, no never. But it cannot be that hard to do, besides it will give something to do, another project!

John

ryan77

Have you priced dump trucks lately?? Buying a used military one is a steal compared to a civi one!

ichudov

I do not get it myself. I buy and sell stuff, and I have a nice GMC topkick truck that I bought for $120 (and then spent $1000 on tires and minor repairs). WhenI look at M929 dumps , they do not look all that useful to me. Not useful enough to justify the high price.

ryan77

I do not get it myself. I buy and sell stuff, and I have a nice GMC topkick truck that I bought for $120 (and then spent $1000 on tires and minor repairs). WhenI look at M929 dumps , they do not look all that useful to me. Not useful enough to justify the high price.
Most of the military ones are low miles compared to a used gmc etc!!

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most military dumps are too small for quarries. A small quarry truck hauls 30 tons. I'd say they are best suited to site work moving dirt and rock.

I use civilian dump trucks and road tractors at my business. I've tried every way in the world to fit a MV into the operation but it doesn't pencil out. The maintenance cost are high compared to civilian models, the fuel mileage is low, they are slow, and eat high priced tires (especially super singles) at a alarming rate if driven regularly loaded on road.

I've got a M35A2C dump that is mostly just a toy to use around the farm. My uncle does have a M35A2 that he uses in his landscaping business to haul stuff on-site and it works great because he's not moving massive amounts material and it's mostly off road work.

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The dump trucks bring a high price because there are relatively fewer of them going through auctions, and they are very useful.

I put a 10 ton Rugby hoist under the bed of my M925 and use it on the farm. It is really handy. It was much more expensive to do than I thought it would be, even though I got the hoist wholesale. I'll get pictures of it up on here one of these days.

flibob

The last I checked C&C had an electric hoist kit for under $2000. I have a winch truck also but just adding a dump is not as simple and straight forward as it should be. Lots of luck.

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The electric hoist kits are the way to go for casual use. I put a really expensive twin ram setup in, and most of the cost was in getting the hydraulics plumbed and the resivoir size increased.

I'd say electric will work fine in 95% of the cases.

Carlo

With all the respect in this world I say dont complain to much. In Europe we pay €8.500 to €10.500 for a 923A2 This price is in euros with exchange rate at €1,00 to $1.35

originalstarhauler

Useful? Try running a regular dump truck in a pond dredging operation and spend the money to have a dozer standing by. Commercial firewood hauler, take a M-817 into the woods load it with a elevator , haul it out and dump it where you want, regular truck hire the guys to throw the wood out of the truck. In my book the dump is probably the best suited for a work truck They sure are cheaper, easier to get to a site unlike a off road dump that require a semi flat bed transport. The military dump don't cost no $200,000 or more.
I approached a major highway construction company in Ohio and yes I could have ran contract for them with my M-817 in places where it was impractable to haul in a Big Off Road Beast. What stopped me? The requirement of $1,000,000 liability insurance which would be required on every vehicle I owned (that included even the family car) !

Last edited:

spartan_185

I've sold several M817's to local customers here for everything from ranch work to quarry duty. The main reasons they wanted them is the 6 wheel drive capability, and the price compared to a civilian counterpart. I do agree with you on the currently high prices on the 929's but if you shop around you might just get lucky. I recently bought a running, driving M930 (M929 with a winch) for less than half of what they go for at auction.

flashgordon

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1388004697.633284.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1388004725.532790.jpg

We use 4 of them. We added high sides to all of them. Regular 10 wheel dumps have a 15 ton capacity. We increased these from 8 tons to 14 with the higher sideboards. We use them in the quarry. They averaged $8000 a piece. Low miles (7000ish). That's pretty cheap. I just sold some 88 model kenworths with 1.2 million miles for $10 grand each.
-FLASH-

dmetalmiki

Dump trucks are quite rare in the U.K. here..I tried to buy a deuce (non turbo) unit 2 years ago but found the price prohibative. some £10,000

JxxxOxxxE

View attachment 469104View attachment 469105

We use 4 of them. We added high sides to all of them. Regular 10 wheel dumps have a 15 ton capacity. We increased these from 8 tons to 14 with the higher sideboards. We use them in the quarry. They averaged $8000 a piece. Low miles (7000ish). That's pretty cheap. I just sold some 88 model kenworths with 1.2 million miles for $10 grand each.
-FLASH-

What size tubing did you use as the verticals supports running down into the bed?

8543BOB

Good Morning, I just bought the 929 dump off of gsa. Seems like a lot of money, but how many dump trucks do you see that are 6wd, I live in Breezy Point, NY, a beach community, that got hit hard by Sandy. The ability to drive on the sand to p/u construction junk was worth the price.
better luck next time
BOB

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks