• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M929A2 coming home

tobyS

Thanks M35A2-AZ. It's probably among the straightest dumps I have seen. A picture (GSA Auction) showed the bed with the other troop seat and the trucker says the canvas top is in the bed. I noticed the bed had no scratches, so it wasn't used much. 9 k miles.
Of (11) 5 tons I have bought (and sold 10), it's the first that will start itself without a jump at pick-up.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great truck
I've been looking for a good one.

Interesting place the trucker chose to chain down truck.

tobyS

Great truck
I've been looking for a good one.

Interesting place the trucker chose to chain down truck.
Yes, good ones are hard to find. I had a nice M817 and really missed having it after I sold it. At the GP prices, I could never have afforded another dump. So I have to assume divine intervention.

The chains are going around the rear axle, not tight yet.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know they aren't tight but was wondering why he didn't use the tie down shackles for that very reason.
Whatever works I know, but was just curious.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There's one locally here that a small town has

They don't use it now and can't afford the battery's to put in it.

Its a regular model but will work for what I need.
Would prefer a A2 model but still looking for a good one as already mentioned.

tobyS

I know they aren't tight but was wondering why he didn't use the tie down shackles for that very reason.
I don't know why other than personal choice. He's delivered several from far away and I've never had an issue with them being secured.

You might end up with a good deal if they decide to sell the one you are eyeing, locally. What do you call a regular model...an A0 (or just M929)..or are you referring to the older model M817 or M51A2? I looked at the list of GP sold dumps and some that went for $17k were majorly used and rusted in the beds.

Last edited:

gottaluvit

Very nice truck! I got lucky on the deal I got mine for from GP. I was shocked I won with the fairly low bid I placed. Rough looking ones went for thousands higher the following week, and pretty much since then. Your green unit looks mean!

tobyS

I was shocked I won with the fairly low bid I placed
Me too! I sat waiting to see it go up and when it didn't, I couldn't believe it. The best part was that it was a GSA Auction and there is no "buyer premium" or tax (has to be paid when I register it). And an SF97 is in my hands before the truck is even here.

An interesting side note for GP. I counted the number of no sales and the number sold for each 5 minute sale period. The last sale averaged 5 sales for 7 no sales...which indicates to me the markets may be getting saturated and that prices, like on HMMWV, reflect the true (bad condition) of what is being sold (lots of junk going at high prices).

Last edited:

tobyS

On one of mine they (probably military) had drug it with the brakes on and flat spotted all 4 rear tires, then didn't bother to show that in the photo's.

They have done a good job at cutting us "middle men" out of the picture. My services at today's prices, taking the various risks, is not happening any more. I used to enjoy a small gamble, like buying a non-runner and making it reliable again, but now it's not worth it.

One more to sell and I'm done (famous last words). I'm still thinking of buying a Unimog and taking the front loader and rear excavator off...which seeing their condition, will be my most risky move yet (to hold, not sell).

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On one of mine they (probably military) had drug it with the brakes on and flat spotted all 4 rear tires, then didn't bother to show that in the photo's.

They have done a good job at cutting us "middle men" out of the picture
. My services at today's prices, taking the various risks, is not happening any more. I used to enjoy a small gamble, like buying a non-runner and making it reliable again, but now it's not worth it.

One more to sell and I'm done (famous last words). I'm still thinking of buying a Unimog and taking the front loader and rear excavator off...which seeing their condition, will be my most risky move yet (to hold, not sell).
GL didn't care what a truck sold for since they were doing a 75/25% split with the government (GL keeping the 75%) , GP is operating on a 25/75% split with the government (GP keeping 25%) so if they marketed and sold trucks in the same fashion as GL they would stay in business long . It doesn't really cost them much to re-list them and they know it will sell at some point.

tobyS

GL didn't care what a truck sold for since they were doing a 75/25% split with the government (GL keeping the 75%) , GP is operating on a 25/75% split with the government (GP keeping 25%) so if they marketed and sold trucks in the same fashion as GL they would stay in business long . It doesn't really cost them much to re-list them and they know it will sell at some point.
I didn't know that the percentages had changed so much. Yea, your right. I'll count this truck deal as a blessing.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
You don't use the tie down shackles on a heavy truck cause the suspension needs to be able move with bumps and weight transfers. If you wrench down on those shackles they can break or something in the suspension the weak link will break to sustain the impact. Hooking to the axles and securing them makes sure the tires are secure down and lets the suspension flex. The only time i even hook to a frame to tie something down is to secure it to the front of the trailer to pull it towards.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You don't use the tie down shackles on a heavy truck cause the suspension needs to be able move with bumps and weight transfers. If you wrench down on those shackles they can break or something in the suspension the weak link will break to sustain the impact. Hooking to the axles and securing them makes sure the tires are secure down and lets the suspension flex. The only time i even hook to a frame to tie something down is to secure it to the front of the trailer to pull it towards.

Well I've seen hundreds of Military trucks tied down wrong on rail cars then.

I understand your point, but every piece of
military equipment, be it trucks, trailers, boats, whatever are always tied down where it says "tie down".
I know it's not always the shackles but most of the time it is.
Vehicles tied down in aircraft and also ships use shackles and/or any other designated tie down point.

I once witnessed the aftermath of a train derailment that was carrying mostly M1 tanks and Bradley's. A lot of tanker trucks and support Vehicles also. Train was 100% military equipment.
Almost 1/2 of the long train derailed. Weird seeing M1s and such upside down and on their side.
Quite a few rail car tops were still strapped to the cargo. Rail car wheel sets embedded in the ground and sheared off from the top.
Now some of those broke free when it hit the ground and another rail car slammed into it.
To give an idea how heavy the whole train was, there were 4 locomotives in front, 4 in the rear and 2 in the middle. 10 total. No it wasn't one of those mile long setups. Half mile at the most.

Every truck I've had shipped, has been tied down from the shackles as designed. Lifting points are different.
That way, the whole mass is tied down and nothing has room to gain movement or momentum.

Im not an expert and don't claim to be by any means, just have always seen it done the other way.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Rail cars dont have alot of movement other than forward(braking ) They arent smacking potholes or roads that ramp up or have grooves in them. Lord knows we all know where are local potholes that make us just go **** after we hit it. I would hate to keep having to reset the binders when you keeep pulling down on the suspension that will go along ways.

Csm Davis

Rail cars dont have alot of movement other than forward(braking ) They arent smacking potholes or roads that ramp up or have grooves in them. Lord knows we all know where are local potholes that make us just go **** after we hit it. I would hate to keep having to reset the binders when you keeep pulling down on the suspension that will go along ways.

Sorry bud but Tinstar is correct whether it is a train or trucks the tie-down is the same.there are actually manuals for shipping and how it should be done. There also is a thread about it.
Nice score on the dump truck

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks