• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M929A2 crankshaft seal replace

boone6978

Hello all,

we are attempting to replace the crankshaft seal and front cover seal on our M929A2 with the 8.3L. Could someone be so kind to point me to the part of the TM for this Engine Service? I looked and can only find parts. We are looking for the torque specs on the front cover bolts and crankshaft dampener. Any help is much appreciated. Dan

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
tm 9-2320-272-24-2

Chapter 4-14

Last edited:

boone6978

Awesome, found it. Thanks for the help. I was looking TM 9-2320-272-23-1 thru -5 and had a heck of a time. Dan

jarhead1086

I found this post quickly in a search, I either got lucky or I'm finally getting better. I also realized I had not downloaded all the TM's. I checked the dynamic balancer and align marks are exactly aligned but barely visible with the paint. I turned the crankshaft screw and it just turns the engine. I see how to bar the engine on an A2 in the -23 TM, but I cannot find how to bar the 250. I only need to replace the crank seal so I thought I could just remove the crankshaft flange and pull the bad seal.

jarhead1086

These photos are from a DHC-250 which does not match the title exactly. I finally got a bigger puller to remove the crank flange. I noticed some pitting and corrosion where the seal lip rides. I polished with scotch brite carefully to just remove the raised corrosion and the shallow pitting remains. Debating if I should shrink sleeve it or leave it? The static side of the seal ring looked like it was cocked but measuring from the face of the crank to the seal measures the same in all locations so its square. I am guessing all these trucks corrode here from sitting and leak a little. Should I have this machined down and shrink sleeved? Its shallow enough that hard chrome could bring it back after machining it undersize.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks