• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M929A2 Dump truck Jake brake question

formflier

Have been operating this truck for several months now. Seems to be doing well.

I have some questions as I'm not familiar with this truck series. This is my first surplus truck experience.

The truck is operated in a mountainous area and I'm thinking about trying to add a Jake brake to the engine for some added safety. Anyone have any experience doing this?? Any kits that can be recommended??

Will the automatic transmission "hold back" the truck during long down hill grades?? Is it advisable to try and use it to do so??

Again..no military experience using these trucks so I'm hoping some guys that used them (drivers) in the service can pass on some tips about best operational practices for driving in areas with steep grades. With and without carrying a load. I have experienced CDL drivers..they just don't have experience with this truck.

We don't have a trailer yet but are thinking of getting one. Our thinking on the Jake is also centered around the trailer. Do we want to tow heavy loads while relying just on vehicle brakes and whatever the ability of the tranny is to hold back the vehicle.

The truck has the big super singles on it...if that matters.

Thanks for the help.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Since the M915's with the 400 Cummins and Allison automatics have Jakes and they seem to work on them I don't see why they wouldn't work on the 8.3 if there are kits available. If you are pulling a trailer and it has good brakes then it should help hold the whole rig back if you are using them correctly. The way to avoid brake issues on bad grades is to not to let the vehicle go too fast in the first place and then have to brake hard to slow it down.

Hawssie

I never saw Jakes on a 8.3 but maybe they make them. You could add an exhaust brake at the end of the turbo, It doesnt have the same compression braking of a Jake but still would work for you and a lot cheaper and easier. A lot better then nothing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks