• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M929A2 dump truck will not start clicking sound

blhar15

My M929A2 will not start now. We picked it up from the auction and they said it had problems starting, but did fire up with a jump. We get it back to unload it and now when you hit the starter it just clicks. We have tried jumping it again, but nothing just a clicking sound. We had this happen before on a truck so we replaced the Protective Control Box on this and it still does the same thing.

Any ideas? :confused:

Thanks

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
You can try slow charging the batteries one at a time. It takes one day or better per battery. Use the lowest charge rate on your charger. Voltage should read 12 or higher at full charge. Disconnet them from each other before charging. If they all don't read very close to each other you will need to replace all. Don't try to run three hot and one low battery. Check all the ground points and make sure the terminals are clean when you reconnect the batteries after charging. I've had the same on-going issue with the wrecker I'm baby sitting.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I had one with a bad starter once even with charged batteries it would give me a hard time but would start with a slave jump sometimes. There are contacts at the back of the starters throw out solenoid that switch on the starter motor. Take a screwdriver and jump the 2 big terminals on the back of the starter solenoid and see if it spins. It should just spin free since you won't be engaging the solenoid by doing this just spinning the motor. If this works you can have someone try to start it in the cab and when the solenoid engages jump the starter terminals and it should turn the motor over.

Iggy913

Did you find an answer yet?

If not another thing to check would be the wire going from the starter solenoid to the large negative terminal on the front of the starter. I had almost the exact same problem you are describing and it turned out the wire I mentioned above had come loose from it's terminal during a short drive to a nearby gas station. It's an 8 gauge wire and about 8 inches long, small terminal on the solenoid end and a large terminal on the starter end to fit over that large negative post.

When that wire came loose on my truck all I got was a faint click coming from the protective control box when I tried to start it. Incidently I wonder if you extended that wire to a hidden switch somewhere if you could use that as a little security device to keep someone from starting the truck when you weren't around?

107deuce

Having this problem with my m35a2 drove it to my buddy's hopped back in 10 minutes after and it just clicks .. I can get it to free spin with a screwdriver and I tryed to get my buddy in the cab to hit the switch while I jump it but it still just spins any ideas what could be the problem? Thanks

wsucougarx

Had the exact same thing happen. Batteries were good but the ground connection on one battery wasn't making enough contact. Once cleaned up, no problem.

74M35A2

Having this problem with my m35a2 drove it to my buddy's hopped back in 10 minutes after and it just clicks .. I can get it to free spin with a screwdriver and I tryed to get my buddy in the cab to hit the switch while I jump it but it still just spins any ideas what could be the problem? Thanks
On this one, it is a bad solenoid or bad signal to solenoid. Check for +24v on the small wire at the solenoid when holding in crank.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks