• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M931 - Electrical issue when trying to start

zguinness

Recently I tried to start up my M931 to let her run a little bit as it had been a while since I last started her up. When I tried to start the engine I noticed a little smoke coming from around the dash... then it started getting worse. I grabbed the extinguisher out of my other truck and noticed the majority of the smoke was now pouring out of the passenger side. When I opened up the passenger door I could see some of the wiring glowing red hot near the receptacle under the dash near the heater (auxiliary receptacle??).

I'm guessing something shorted out. Any ideas where to go from here? Will it cause any problems if I remove that receptacle and cap off the wires?

20150824_191124_zpsvw1bjc2b.jpg

Gunzy

Need to know exactly what wires. That connector/recepticle is for diagnostics only and unless you have the tester you will probably never use it. You obviously have something shorted(power to ground) that is not curcuit protected. I would try to trace what wires burned to their origin and see if you can find where it grounded.

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Make sure your alternator voltage is not in the red. I blew our two gauges when the voltage regulator went south.

The HUlk

I would recommend not driving it until you have addressed the root of the problem and any damaged wiring. The wire insulation may be compromised at any point along the harness and should be thoroughly inspected. Having an unexpected electrical fire while driving could be hazardous to your health and those around you.