• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M931 Transfer Case Noise and Lockup

Clayshootr

I have a M931 that I recovered out of Mississippi 3 yrs ago. It has been a real good running truck up until yesterday. I hooked up to the flatbed and loaded my JD 4430 tractor up and pulled it about 100 miles (to Reb87's place). After unloading the tractor I went down the road to unhook the trailer and then it made a terriable grinding noise and the truck stoped dead in its tracks. It would not move forward but it did go in reverse for a ways then it would grind and pop and skid to a hault again. I then shifted it into low range and got it to move a ways then it stopped again. We messed around and finally got it to go forward for a half mile or so in low.
I am really scared that something is piled up in that case. Not sure what to think about it. That morning I did drive about 30 miles down the road (some gravel some pavement) with the front wheels engaged. Could that have hurt it? Anyone have any thoughts?? I dont think I have ever pulled the plug to check the oil on the t-case. I know that is terrible. I have put about 5K miles on this truck since I have owned it.
I did search and read most all the t-case threads but did not find anything like this
Thansk for any advise.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unfortunate. Verify it is the transfer case by draining it and see how many teeth come out the hole. It could also be an axle. The bright side is that lots of transfer cases were saved from the hundreds of Mississippi trucks that were scrapped. It's no fun to swap one, I can tell you.

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hate to say this, but short of getting your hands dirty, there is nothing any of us can do but speculate. Speculation will not diagnose your unfortunate dilemma. Unbolt the drive shafts, and start checking how it sounds etc....There aren't any shortcuts likely on this one.

Clayshootr

I hate to say this, but short of getting your hands dirty, there is nothing any of us can do but speculate. Speculation will not diagnose your unfortunate dilemma. Unbolt the drive shafts, and start checking how it sounds etc....There aren't any shortcuts likely on this one.
You are correct. I guess that will be the next step.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks