• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M931A2 Build

hirollin87

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Been meaning to put some pics out since I was close to finished with it. First I got rid of that junk aftercooler and installed an intercooler. As you can see I had to add a filler piece in between grille and hood. 4 inch aluminum intercooler tubes from silicone intakes. I installed a higher cfm filter and ran a donaldson scoop out of the hood in order to get rid of the restrictive stock setup. Sent pump and injectors to Seth Farrell who is dang good. HEMMT wheels up front. Slider civy 5th wheel. Auber egt, fuel psi and boost gauges. LED front and rear. New paint. Electric wipers. Dual alternators. Things I need to do are put bumper back on and plumb 2nd tank.
IMG_2644.jpgIMG_2631.jpgIMG_2632.jpgIMG_2638.jpgIMG_2639.jpgIMG_2630.jpgIMG_2645.jpgIMG_2641.jpgIMG_2643.jpgIMG_2629.jpg

Last edited:

74M35A2

It is worth whatever somebody will pay for it.

What charge air cooler did you use, and do you have any document temp drop by using it?

Jericho

Nice truck ! What did you have done to the Pump and what was the resulting gain in power? I assume you are looking at the 916 to see an increase in HP ! Is the 931 still suffering from lack of pulling power ? is that why your looking at the 916 ?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The alternator question or the air cooler question?
Gimpy was refering to post #1, which has no questions other than what it's worth which is wrote with all the info ussually found in a classified ad including the phone number ( why would you include a phone number in a post unless your looking to be contacted by non-members that can't post in thread or PM you )

hirollin87

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gimpy was refering to post #1, which has no questions other than what it's worth which is wrote with all the info ussually found in a classified ad including the phone number ( why would you include a phone number in a post unless your looking to be contacted by non-members that can't post in thread or PM you )
I apologize I fixed it. I am just in habit of putting number in case someone wants to talk rather than type. When I decide to sale I will post in right category.

74M35A2

Alts Chinese clones (corrected, they are not Chinese), which do work OK and very economical. A genuine 70 amp Delco 21Si prices at just over $500 each MSRP. Chinese clones are about $120ea. I have had several genuine Delco failures, and would almost recommend the Chinese one instead, actually. Are you running one 12v, or both 24v?

http://www.discountstarterandaltern...-delco-remy-alternator-21si-24v-70a-19010182/

Understood on the temps, too bad because we are trying to quantify these things. What type of charge air cooler and how did you remove/replace the stock factory intake mounted liquid to air cooler? Gut it or replace it with a different cover plate?

Interesting fix on the charge air cooler fit without moving radiator back.

Not sure on 931a2 pricing, but do know a case where a guy was offered $22k for a 923a2 and took it. Know of another recently paying $9k for a 923a2 with soft top and no cargo cover. Prices are up for now as auction sites dry up of them.

Last edited:

hirollin87

Steel Soldiers Supporter
IMG_1627.jpgIMG_1625.jpgIMG_1468.jpgIMG_1466.jpgIMG_1452.jpgIMG_1451.jpgIMG_1450.jpgIMG_1627.jpgIMG_1625.jpgIMG_1468.jpgIMG_1466.jpgIMG_1451.jpgIMG_1450.jpgIMG_1452.jpg
Alts Chinese clones (?), which do work OK and very economical. A genuine 70 amp Delco 21Si prices at just over $500 each. Chinese clones are about $120ea. I have had several genuine Delco failures, and would almost recommend the Chinese one instead, actually. Are you running one 12v, or both 24v?

http://www.discountstarterandaltern...-delco-remy-alternator-21si-24v-70a-19010182/

Understood on the temps, too bad because we are trying to quantify these things. What type of charge air cooler and how did you remove/replace the stock factory intake mounted liquid to air cooler? Gut it or replace it with a different cover plate?

Interesting fix on the charge air cooler fit without moving radiator back.

Not sure on 931a2 pricing, but do know a case where a guy was offered $22k for a 923a2 and took it.
One 12v and one 24v. Here are couple of pics.
Bought used intake off another 8.3

Last edited:

74M35A2

Cool. Nice job, thanks for the additional pics. Those alts are genuine Delco, the Chinese ones do not say "Delco Remy" on them, but the originals do have that cast into the back frame cover of them.

I like the size of the charge air cooler, but looks like it may not be the Volvo one? So, is the power at least a lot better? Engine looks nice and clean.

Last edited:

hirollin87

Steel Soldiers Supporter
IMG_1648.jpgIMG_1650.jpgIMG_1647.jpg
Middle pic is tensioner pulley bracket. I had to reindex the tensioner when I put 2nd alternator on. So I made one that would essentially work for a lot of applications.

hirollin87

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cool. Nice job, thanks for the additional pics. Those alts are genuine Delco, the Chinese ones do not say "Delco Remy" on them, but the originals do have that cast into the back frame cover of them.

I like the size of the charge air cooler, but looks like it may not be the Volvo one? So, is the power at least a lot better? Engine looks nice and clean.
I never drove it before the build. But I am very satisfied with it. You know how it is. You can never get enough power. HA! I am thinking about a m916. I am pretty sure cooler was out of international. I will look back.

Lukes_deuce

Nice build! Truck looks good and you have some nice fabrication skills. I bet between the intercooler and pump modifications she moves now! How did she pull with the trailer and wrecker?

Did yo ever find a part number for the intercooler?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks