• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M931a2 ncrease horsepower

roders

Hi Guys

We are looking at increasing the horsepower from the 240BHP up to 400BHP.

Has anyone out there done this before, if so would be very pleased in hearing from them as other then increasing the horsepower, I do not wish to change the power unit.

Look forward to anyone with useful and knowledgeable information.

RODERS

Attachments

dk8019

I would think it would be doable. 400 BHP is easily achievable with the much small 5.9L Cummins used in the larger Dodge trucks, my 2004.5, which is a 24V truck easily puts down 400 BHP. The A2 trucks have an extra 2.4L to work with.

Ddmk18

I would like to know what's guys are doing also. I turned the fuel screw up and turned the govenor up 3 clicks and it helped. But I would like to know what other turbos or injectors people are running and with what results.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
More power would be nice but what is the longevity going to be? I'm not saying the engine will grenade quicker but just how long will it last turned up that high?

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Search the governor spring thread we have been discussing boosting power member neverenufhp has kits with larger turbos and marine injectors

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have no doubt a 5.9 will do it. I saw them turn one up with propane and nitrous on TV to off the 1,200ft/lb scale in torque.

But we are not talking about a 5.9. I'm just curious.

M813A1

Careful about turning up the fuel on the NHC 250 the pistons "DO NOT " have oil squirter on them for cooling .. If you turn up the fuel to far you take a chance of melting the pistons . But be sure to add a Pyrometer / EGT gauge to your truck to monitor the exhaust temps !! . These small cam Cummins NHC 250 are not big HP engines you might be able to get 300 hp by turning up the fuel , but for the Big Hp you may have to consider a Big Cam 400 and it should bolt right in place of the NHC 250 because the blocks are basically the same !!

NightOwl

Speaking of EGT gauges, how many folks have put an EGT and/or Boost gauge on their Cummins 6cta8.3 engines?

If so, do you have photos of where you mounted them and did you go with Autometer or somebody else?

NightOwl

After I posted my message, I thought to search on egt and boost and up came photos. It has been a long week. Brain is slow. But, please post more photos. I'm leaning towards the Westach dual gauge now.

roders

Trailer is Ex-French Army (Coder) designed to carry the AMX 13 Tank its 30Ft in Lenght and 8ft 7" wide, we intend to exstend lenght next year(2014) but first need to up power on the M931A2 but the way its looking may replace engine with Cat, still waiting on cummins Service Department to answere our request for more power!
personly think a repower would be more favouable,
cheers Roders.

buggyman

I’m not sure how to answer this but here goes.
Can you turn the 8.3 Cummins up to 400 hp? The short answer is,Yes!
Do you want more info?
Should you turn it up that much? Ah, no, if you turn it upthis much you will not be able to use all the power to pull. If you just wantto go from stop light to stop light, then no problem. If you want to use thepower to pull, the rest of the trucks cooling and lube will system not handleall this heat.
Now for the good news, you can get up to about 350 hp anduse most of it for pulling. If this is enough then continuing reading.

I turned up the pump on my 8.3, just by loosing the rack limitingnuts on the injection pump. My 923A2 went from 238 hp to between 320 and 350hp. This makes the truck REALLY RUN!
Happy Trails….