• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M931A2 Starting trouble

willbparker

I have a 1991 BMY M931A2 with a Cummings diesel engine that has been starting and running great since I've had it. I went to take it for a ride a couple of weeks ago and as soon as I got seated I noticed that the battery switch was on and the starter switch was in the on position. Come to find out, my wife had previously allowed my children to play in the cab while I wan't there; apparently they switched these on and they didn't get switched off. Needless to say, my batteries ran dead. I have since charged the batteries and tried to start her up but to no avail. When I try to start it,the engine turns great but it wont start. It used to start right up; the batteries have a full charge so I'm not sure what the deal is.

Any idea what about leaving the battery and starter switch on for a day will do to prevent it from starting?

I would greatly appreciate any guidance!

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is your fuel cutoff solenoid pulling back when you turn it over? Did they pull out the eng. stop?

willbparker

Is your fuel cutoff solenoid pulling back when you turn it over? Did they pull out the eng. stop?
The eng. stop was not out when I found it. The solenoid is not pulling back but I'm not sure if it ever was. I've been having to keep the stop lever (on the engine) disengaged by keeping a piece of rod wedged between the lever and the engine block. This is to keep the solenoid from engaging it because the solenoid is always out, pushing against the stop lever.

goldneagle

Not a good idea to let kids play in the cab without supervision. Does the truck have a hidden kill switch? If not it is an accident waiting to happen. Someone could get killed!

NJDEUCE

Your kids probably pulled the emergency stop, and then pushed it back in. You have to reset the fuel lever each time that you pull the emergency stop. It does not reset itself when you push it back in. All you have to do is follow the shutoff cable to where it connects in the engine compartment and pull the lever back in place.

Last edited:

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
An A2 should reset itself when the control is pushed back in. Sometimes the emergency stop cable is slightly bent and does not allow the solenoid to move into the run position. Its something that can be hand adjusted. I ran across this firsthand I had a truck that started intermittently I was cranking and Matt Vintageiron was standing on the tire and he saw it right away. Saved me some headache.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks