• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M931A2 towing

eah

hey guys i am new to the large tractor trucks and i was wondering about a M931A2 before i bought one from a military surplus website. the main things i would like to know is this:
  1. how does it tow large loads (26klbs +) and what is the max that it can tow. i will be towing a excavator that weighs 36klbs.
  2. how bad is the maintenance on the truck.
  3. how hard is it to find parts when it does break.

i would like to start hauling equipment around my town to make a little money to keep up the truck if it isn't a bad truck. i am just looking right now and i am wanting info before i buy so anything would be great.
thanks.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
It will pull it but it won't like it.

The military used these tractors to pull loaded 5000 gallon fuel tankers on a regular basis. You can do the math.

As a rule tactical vehicles don't make good commercial vehicles for several reasons.

They tend to be slower on the road.

Higher fuel consumption.

Rough ride.

Maintenance intensive.

Marginal heat/defrost. No air conditioning unless you add it. Marginal windshield wipers. No heated mirrors.

That being said if you are going to stay local it can be a cheaper alternative than a standard heavy truck.

The 900 series trucks will be better than the older 800 series if you have the A2 with the 8.3 Cummins engine.

A M915/M916/M920 would be a better choice if you have the budget.

Several members on here and some people I know use them for farm and other uses.

Check CDL and insurance requirements for your area.

Bandit02

Ummmm haha it has a bit to be desired.

Mine hauls offroad, with a short wheel base it's nice in the mountains. I overload mine quite substantially. It does quite well with 80000 lbs. The lack of a engine brake & turbo make it a dog but I haven't ever put on chains with the 6 wheel drive, it chugs along.

I have a CDL for it no hassles with DOT...yet.

Maintenance sucks. Right now today I'm changing out the t/case output seal. Parts aren't easily everywhere but I manage.

Still cheaper to run then a civvy truck IMHO.