• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M931A2 turn signal and tail light gremlins

Sambor

Lets see if I can get all this down so one of the electrical wizards can give me some advice. The truck came with both rear light assys. broken. the right was damaged pretty bad and the left was cracked. These were metal housings, not the composite. The right tail lamp acted like a turn signal-- it flashed when the turn sig. switch was put to right. No brake light at all but I just figured it or the socket was broken. Left side of the truck all worked perfect and the right front section of the truck worked fine. I got a pair of tail light assemblies with good bulbs plus spare bulbs. All check good with meter and power. I installed making sure all the grounds were good and clean both on the lamp housings as well as between the bracket and frame. When I powered up the truck and turned on the left signal the left tail, and the left brake light all worked perfect. When I did the same on the right, no brake light, tail light worked as the signal, and if you reverse the positions of the lamps( big bulb on top and little bulb on bottom) the little bulb on bottom still works as a signal, and top bulb never comes on. I removed the light assembly and powered it with a 24 volt power supply on each wire and all bulbs light up perfectly and per the wire number tags. So, I believe the light housing internally is fine-- all the sockets are grounded good and all the bulbs are good. Now for the truck-- I checked 22-460 which is the right signal rear and it shows 24 volts during the flash from the signal switch. It just won't fire the brake/turn signal lamp-- instead it fires the tail light bulb. I assume that for some reason the little lamp is in the ground circuit so it flashes instead of the big lamp. Ok, I disconnected the front harness for all the hood lamps at the left fender and all the rear right lamps quit. The left side still works, but now the left tail and brake flash together. I disassembled the turn signal switch and cleaned it-- inspected and found no cold solders/loose wires, burnt contacts. Checked the grounds at the flasher-- all good. Even installed some clips and wire for additional grounds-- no change. By the way, I read on here that the signal switch has to be grounded for the indicator light to work-- mine doesn't need the ground, light works just fine in either position-- and it makes no difference if I add a clip on ground wire. The tail light wire is #21 from the rear to the light switch and does not ever have any connections to the turn signals-- I figure maybe I have a ground or shorted wire somewhere, but am at a loss as to where to go now-- SO, any help or further advice would be appreciated, before I decide to tear into the firewall feedthru and check the wiring there. I did check the connector behind the left front tire on pin C&D--C is the right rear turn and D is the tail light circuit-- no continuity on the rear harness which is correct, but there is some on the front harness-- haven't checked between that connector and the hood connector yet--Sorry this is so long, but wanted to get it all out there for help, John R Dunn Weatherford Texas

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Make SURE the grounds are GOOD, BOTH mounting bolts are grounds, BOTH have to be good, if only one is grounding you WILL get funny light operation, either some not working or grounding through another light circuit which in turn causes more fun and strange operation of some of the other lights, at this point grab # 6 beer and think about the problem.

Sambor

Yeah, I discovered that the composite light housings have 2 grounds-- one for the regular bulbs and one for the LED B/O's. Each goes to a mounting bolt. I think I maybe have had several too many brewskis already.

Sambor

Finally fixed the problem-- when the back of the truck was damaged in the depot and the tail light brackets were bent all to cr*p I removed them to straighten them as much as possible-- because of the wavy flanges, not much contact for ground-- Ran separate ground straps and everything worked as advertised-- now to go get it inspected. Thanks you to all who gave advice

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks