• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M931A2 variable air valve placement in air system

Madderoftime

I have a 931 that I want to install a "WILLIAMSTRAILER & AIR REGULATOR VARIABLE CONTROL LEVER VALVE" to limit the pressure applied to the trailer brakes. The issue is I have a couple of trailers that skid easy when empty. Both the tractor trailer and the utility trailer off the back glad hands. I have 2 valves. I am try to determine what would be the best place to install them. Not cab placement but air control placement. Looking at TM 9-2320-272-24-4 page H-13. So yes, I'm trying to figure this out right.
The tractor trailer I am not sure if I should put between the "trailer air supply valve" and the trailer protection valve. That would be an easy place for it all in the cab. Or if it should be after the protection valve between that and the service glad-hand to the tractor trailer.
The utility trailer off the back glad-hands I am almost positive I have to put it in-between the service gladhand and the last tee after the double check-valve #5. Issue there obviously is the shear distance I am adding to that line then. Going from tee to cab and back again is easy 30 more feet. Just not sure if that is acceptable. I think it would be OK. I don't have the real light trailers. The lightest trailer I have is actually when I pull the XM1061E1. I also pull a dual axle dolly and a trailer off that at times. The dolly doesn't use air but the trailer attached to it does. Again with the same skid problem empty as on the tractor.
Obviously the point is to limit the brakes on the trailers not the tractor. I can run with no service brakes on the trailers and have. However, I would like to have them work at least a little bit to help stop. Empty is always the difficult part. With a load everyone knows it is not a problem and should be full pressure.
Here is the description on the valves:
"The WM-786is a panel-mounted, three-way regulating control valve. It is actuated by ahandle which is equipped with adjustable-stops so the operator can establishminimum and maximum pressure limits within a particular model’s output range.The mil spec states 0-115psi. When the stops are adjusted to allow maximumhandle movement, the valve modulates through its entire output range and thehandle has a rotation of 90 degrees. The WM-786 series also features a frictionadjustment which restricts or allows free movement of the handle."