• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M932A2 fuel shutdown solenoid issues

Doomsday

Did a search but didn't find anything pertaining to my specific problem........long story short, did oil change and fuel filter/water separator change this weekend. Hadn't run truck in 3 weeks, installed new FF/water separator, primed fuel system and engine wouldn't start. Eventually fired but would only stay running while cranking starter and pushing throttle. Finally noticed fuel shutdown solenoid wasn't holding lever to open position while running. I zip tied it open to get engine running then noticed once engine was running it energized and held open. Has anyone had theirs act intermittently like this before?? All the wires look Ok, nothing is fried.......something else weird is the lever has a stop position when it is full open but now their is a gap between when the fuel lever is open and solenoid is pulled up?? That magnetic tip must be one **** of a strong magnet!

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks! Joe

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
This is a recurring problem with these vehicles. I was in a transportation unit in the active Army that had them and at night in the Motor Pool you could hear "click", "click", "click" all through the MP as the solinoids de-energized. Usually they will self-correct if the vehicle is cranked every day or so.
I had the same problem with my newly aquired M923 today. No Soldier B around so I had to zip tie it open to crank it.
You can replace it but there is no guarentee that it won't happen again.
Just one of those grimlins that haunt MV's.aua

Doomsday

Well, that's good to know, I figured it was some stupid glitch in the system. Guess I will just have to make sure I energize it about every week so I don't waste my starter on my new truck.

Anyone else with any input is always appreciated.

Thanks! Joe

Doomsday

Has anyone made a trick pull cable for permanent replacement of the solenoid? I made one a long time ago in my '98 12v Dodge Cummins sled pulling truck and it worked great over the stupid prone to failing solenoid. If anyone has any pics, please provide.

I think one could be converted using the emergency engine stop cable but I figured I would ask and see if anyone has done that.

Thanks!