• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M932a2 - general questions.

GeorgiaIron

Hello everyone,

I have been trolling around and reading up on M932a2 trucks here. I have been looking in the TM section for the manual for my truck but did not see a manual reference my model. Does the truck go by a different ID or could some one give me a link to the correct manual. I am trying to prepare for a truck pickup.

The truck I purchased was sold at a GL auction in Warner Robbins at the auction that just closed. I bought the truck without seeing it in person. I have contacted GL but they are closed right now.

The description of my auction is :

2010 (Overhauled) BMY-Div of Harsco mdl M932A2 5-ton, 6x6, Tractor truck w/winch. Manufacturer's serial number:32-00XXX. Powered by a Cummins 6CTA8.3 6-cylinder turbo supercharged Diesel engine driving through an Allison automatic transmission and two-speed transfer case with power steering. Vehicle equipped with Central Tire Inflation System. Vehicle equipped with 20,000-pound capacity hydraulically-driven self-recovery winch and a hard top cab enclosure. Odometer reads 8371 miles with 627 Hours on the engine, no batteries. GL will load.

The link to my trucks auction is http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?auctionId=6646412

Could someone that is familar with this model, look over the pics and tell me of any missing parts or problems they can see from the pictures.

I have never been to warner robbins and I am wondering how they will help me load the truck. What kind of equipment do they use and can they load it onto a goose neck type deck over wheel trailer? What tools should I bring to load this truck.

Also I have searched for what kind of batteries I need to buy. I have not seen any information on how many and if napa sells them. Could it be possible to just buy batteries and put them in and fire it up? Or do they remove the batteries because the truck is broken?

I have never been in one of these type trucks, so my questions may seem simple. Any help on my recovery would be appriecated.

TY.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like a nice truck.
I would just get two group 27;'s or group 31's for your truck. The 6tl batteries that come in the truck cost way to much.
good luck with the recovery!!

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a member mdmorgan that works on the base if I remember correctly.

The truck looks great. I would want to see what is written on the tag by the front left dash to see if it notes a running problem?

The truck looks too nice & complete to be missing the batteries. I know it could but see if mdmorgan can preview for you?

GL descriptions are not always 100%. One site I know of lists everything as "non" running as they don't want to hassle checking and describing.

Check this member site for best tm's released Sept 2012:

http://www.jatonkam35s.com/jatonkaM939seriesTMdownloadpage.htm

Napa does sell the batteries. They are pricey but are tough and can handle many discharge cycles and still come up. I am very impressed with mine and the fact that I have run them to zero by accident and brought them up after charging for a day or two. (more times than I care to admit) :)
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/C...BCI-6TL-NAPA-Batteries/_/R-NBP7256_0237549640

other batteries do fit and you can use 2. Be very careful with height and make sure it clears the metal lid of the seat so it does not ground out! Battery hold downs might need to be improvised.

Welcome and cool truck!

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
There is a member mdmorgan that works on the base if I remember correctly.
Daniel and his wife both work at WRAFB and are super good folks. He can assist with recovery or answer most of your questions on recovering items from the base.
They will both be at the world famous GA Rally coming up next month. You should make every effort to attend and become immersed up to your eyeballs in the dreaded "Green Iron Addiction". Be there or be square.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
These are the TM's your looking for ; TM's for the 939 series trucks

You should read this TM before operating your truck ; TM9-2320-272-10.pdf

I would recommend using the newer tm's 5 part 23 issued in Sept 2012 as they have better diagnostic work packages trouble shooting flow charts including the abs brakes that the older 4 part 24 series does not cover.

the parts series 24P has also been expanded from 2 volumes to 3.

Also the -10 has been vastly expanded and more comprehensive.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would recommend using the newer tm's 5 part 23 issued in Sept 2012 as they have better diagnostic work packages trouble shooting flow charts including the abs brakes that the older 4 part 24 series does not cover.

the parts series 24P has also been expanded from 2 volumes to 3.

Also the -10 has been vastly expanded and more comprehensive.
Post a link for them , the link I posted is from the TM's section here on SS.

ichudov

I agree with the other posters, do not buy batteries unless you check the truck out. Hire a local person if the price is reasonable. Your truck is very valuable because of the hydraulic setup, you can use it to tow trailers with hydraulic winches.

I have such a trailer with a hydraulic beavertail, and mounted a custom made (by me) hydraulic unit on it.It would not be necessary with a hydraulic setup on the tractor.

Last edited:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
GL left that off the website.
Welcome to the wonderful world of dealing with a contractor that has a virtual monopoly on government surplus sales.:roll:auaaua

Everything GL posts about an item for sale should be taken with a large grain of salt. Never, ever take what you see for granted. I learned my lesson a long time ago about buying a GL "pig in a poke". I very seldom buy a vehicle now without either previewing myself or getting someone else to preview for me.

That being said I have had a lot of sucess buying from them. I have been burned a few times but that's what it's all about....the risk that you will make out like a bandit once in a while. Look how many people lose their azzes in Vegas. Buying at auction is just a form of gambling but at least if you lose you still have something to look at for your money.

GeorgiaIron

Picked up the truck today

I went and recovered my truck today. To bad I paid someone to haul it home, it cranked right up and ran like a champ. We had no issues with GL or getting to the truck. John and Mark at GL did a good job. I am still in shell shock after getting this truck and checking it out. It did not have the best paint job but it is seems to be mechanically sound. The truck is so well built and put together, nothing on the civilian market even comes close to this truck.

It did turn out to have batteries they were just old and not charged. The jump truck started it up and I drove it onto the low boy trailer. It cost $750.00 to get it back to Atlanta. I am so happy with this truck I want 10 more. I was also told that I could get a plate for the truck but not a title, so I am off to see what happens. I do not see how GA can refuse to tag the truck..

There are current ads on craigslist in CO where the owners state to have titles and tags in hand on these trucks. Somehow it is being done.

Anyone who claims safety issues or emissions BS on the 932a2 should be sent straight to China to help participate in their communist government. I have driven many old and unsafe vehicles and this is a far cry from that. I did notice that GA has a law that states any vehicle made after 1985 must have some emissions BS. Which wonderful lawmaker(s) shoved that down our throats. If they are still in office I would support a recall vote on the people that drafted the bill. We need to remove these type people from office.

Once again thanks for taking the time to answer my question.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad you got her home.
I would think you have to get a title before you can get a tag.
I have titles and tags for all my truck.
Here is AZ about a year ago they changed the rules, now when you get a title you have to get a tag. They want there money I guess.
In the past you could just get a title and let it sit.

Trk2bg

I also have a 932a2 and I applied for a title about two months ago. Still no word however, I was issued a tag and the person at the tag office stated that I could drive the truck.

If they will issue a tag, I don't see that I need a title if I don't intend to sell it.

Trk2bg

Received my GA title today so, either I got the right person or somebody finally talked some sense into them.

mcmullag

I have a titled M923a2 in CO that I bought from GL in July.
It seems the titling and/or plating issues are state specific.
If you bought my truck with a CO title, you still may have an issue titling it in another state that is more picky and may not accept the CO title due to the vehicle.
just a thought.