• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m932a2 Power steering problems

wackojacko990

Hi guys,
Before posting I did quite a bit of google-fu and TM reading but perhaps I missed something.

I purchased a 1991 BMY 932a2 two weeks ago (first time 5 ton buyer) everything seems to work well with the exception of the power steering.

When stopped on flat ground the steering wheel requires only about two fingers worth of force when turning the wheels to the left, but when turning to the right it requires both hands and a lot of effort.

Because of this, I have came to the conclusion that the power assist is only working in one direction.

Has anyone else experienced this issue, or perhaps is it just the nature of the beast?

Just would like to double check on here before tearing the power steering apart.

Thanks in advance,
~Wackojacko990

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know if this will help, but the steering assist cylinder has a zerk fitting on each end. It might not hurt to clean off and push some grease into those 4 joints on both sides.

wackojacko990

Yeah, I agree greasing the whole truck would probably be a great place to start.
But honestly the coolant is drained and the radiator removed (it's leaking) so it will be a few weeks before I can troubleshoot further.

I'm thinking its one of the poppet valves in the steering gear that open when you get to the travel stops, but I was hoping someone had experienced something like this before.

wackojacko990

So I finally got around to tearing the steering gear apart.
The problem is pretty obvious.
Looking at my picture:
(2) is the remaining piece of the original "slipper seal" (it is supposed to seal the entire edges of the pocket that is machined into the piston)
Assuming it has broke into pieces and if I'm lucky all of them have made it back to the reservoir. (doubt it though :shrugs: aua )

(1) is a piece of a different O-ring (yet unidentified) that is stuck in the oil supply port to the valve assembly.

Have not attempted removing the valve assembly from the piston, but probably will after more research.

If anyone is interested here is a somewhat generic Sheppard Steering Gear manual that has much better exploded views than what is available in the TM's
http://www.rhsheppard.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/92_Series_Service_Manual.pdf

Steering Gear Failure.jpg

I'll update as I find more.