• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M934 Air brake test

Tigerhawk117

I've been trying to find this but I can't seem to track it down in the tm. I'm looking for the process for testing the air brakes, similar to the test used on modern semi trucks. If someone could point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it. Trying to get my CDL so I can finally drive freely!

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is no dash button that pops out on these trucks so you can demo your knowledge of the COLA test. Which is why most folks have no luck using these trucks for the CDL driving exam.

Tigerhawk117

Is there no equivalent test for these? Like I said, I can't seem to find a testing process in the tm. I'm hoping that if I demonstrate that I know how to test this vehicle, and just repeat how it works for a civilian vehicle..

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I emailed a friend who is a Sargent in the Arkansas State Police. He forwarded it to a Major apparently. This is the response based on the M934 data plate.

"From the information (photos) you sent me of the builders plate of 29,280 lbs of axle weight you will need a Class B CDL License to operate it. If you tow any trailer over 10,000 labs GVWR you will need a Class A CDL license. The Class B would require you to take the General Knowledge and the Air Brake knowledge tests and a skill tests to operate the truck. "

Based on what I explained in the email about the driveline brake system as well as the air system on the trucks. His response:

"It is the same three maneuvers that is required for a Class A Semi with air brakes. There will be a restriction on your CDL “E” which means if you take a skill test in a CMV with an automatic transmission you will be restricted to driving only vehicles with automatic transmissions. ( No manual transmission CMV’s). Without seeing how the truck air brake system is set up I would recommend using a standard transmissioned class B truck with air brakes."

All I can say is take it down there for the skills test and see what happens. Or go to a equipment rental place and rent a dump truck and trailer for a few hours. For leaving your M934 there for them to take a look at might get some $ knocked off the cost.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I will update this from a recent experience with the Arkansas DOT.

The trucks are a grey area. Regardless of having a CDL. Simply put. In the state of Arkansas as long as you are not driving for profit then you are not required to have a CDL. I was stopped by an Arkansas DOT officer on Friday while driving my 923 towing my M322 with a 22,000lb dozer on it. He stopped me to only check my width. I was sitting at 8ft6in and 1/8th. He didn't say too much other than technically there is no law in the Arkansas for even being 79,999lbs and it being my own personal vehicle that I do would not have to have a CDL. He said it would be best to have it but still it was simply put that I was in a "real grey area" .

I have a CDL and he kept asking for my log book and DOT number. Since I am not hauling for profit pro se I do not have a DOT number and I am not required to keep a log book unless I am driving for profit. So he was very confused. He just told me it was mostly about drive time and etc. My only answer was that if someone could drive 11 hours straight in an MV then there is no way they would be able to walk away from the truck.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thought there was a test for just the transfer case brake. Air up plus the override if I remember and see if the Transfer case drum brake holds with it in gear and idle. With the service brakes most of the time they work just how well is the slack adjuster job. There is only so much throw to the wedge or S cams cans. What you are looking for is if the slack adjusters are doing there job. So if DOT did check there is the correct amount of gap and no more. Correct gap good braking power, too much gap poor braking power and that is the gap between the drum and the shoe.

Then there is the Shade Tree Way. STW test is skid the truck.

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Never said it was a S cam but both use cans with a rod throw and they both use slack adjusters. Maybe I did not understand the OP question but to look and measure rod throw with S cams or measuring the gap with Stop Master wedge brakes is the only test I know of a working system.
If you have automatic slack adjusters just keep and eye on the shoes and make sure you are not getting to much gap and the adjuster is working The Stop Master's have auto Adj. Most newer civi axles have auto Adj. The civi axles that don't have Automatic adjusters you have to do with a 9/16 wrench. They have a 9/16 bolt head that has a collar/spring that locks the bolt head. I take 4D40 and spray the bolt head and collar. If the adjuster has been serviced the collar should slip down when you push on it when you have the wrench on the bolt head. If not then I always carry a hammer and tap on the wrench till the collar goes down and the bolt head can be turned. When the adjustment is made just make sure the collar comes back over the bolt head to lock it down.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks