• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M934 generator questions

Tigerhawk117

Alright so I have an M934 that I'm looking to buy a generator for. I have no idea the amount of running watts I need to power the box (lights, plug ins, AC unit, etc.) to the point where I can plug anything including a tv and dvd player up to it. The AC unit is the biggest issue because I don't think it is the big 3 phase unit that most of the other threads mention. It looks fairly new and is a heat and air unit combined with a 208 volt plug. Can anyone help me?

Also, I don't have the cable that's supposed to go with it but they did cut both ends off for me. Are there places that will create a cable compatible with a civilian generator out of those pieces?

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Making a cable is a trivial exercise. You can do it yourself in 15minutes. The problem is that there's nothing to prevent you from making an adapter that will allow you to connect two incompatible circuits....

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There's a genset forum here with lots of people more knowledgeable and into it than me....

I use a Miller Big Blue 400 Diesel Welder/ 15kw genset, but my needs may be different from yours.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I recommend replacing the hvac unit with a single phase model and getting a single phase generator like a mep 003 or 803 unless you have other 3 phase equipment you need to operate. These gens do have switchable 3 phase capability if you had to.

smurph

To run the van body w/ AC, all lights, and several ham radio stations, I was drawing a solid 6 KW from my MEP-005A generator. 3 phase, of course. The AC unit require 30 amps on startup, so the genny better be able to handle that. I would say you need to handle a surge of about 40 amps to be on the safe side. I think a MEP-003A or MEP-803A would be about the minimum and most efficient choice. MEP-004A or MEP-804B would perfect with a LOT of headroom if you needed it. MEP-005A will wet stack and in all reality is too large. I have to run my MEP-005 on a load bank to burn off the wet stack after a few days of running.

As Spurman said, the MEP-003A and MEP-803A gennys can switch between single and three phase. This makes them ideal for your truck power source or a backup solutions for your home/shop if you needed it. (Easier to justify to the XYL) The MEP-004/5s can be modified to output single phase (I modified mine to switch hit), but the MEP-804/5s cannot because they have a 10 wire gen head.

The cable that comes with these trucks is the 100 AMP cable. There is a cable that looks almost identical that was used with the M109s. It is a 50 AMP cable and it will NOT work. Ask me how I found out. :) However, if you find one, you could splice your ends onto it. If you are making your own cable, just make sure it will handle the prospective load.

These trucks also came with a pigtail adapter as part of their BII. It has discrete wires that are attached to the power lugs of the generator and the socket that plugs into the cable. Rare as hens teeth!!!