• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M934 online bidding

cavetech

I am looking for a M934 5 ton truck. I have tried to learn about a well known online bidding site that sells military vehicles.

I understand the process. I just got off the phone with an agent for the bidding website. I learned that I cannot go to the site and look over the truck I might be interested in. I can't start or test drive the truck. I can't even look under it for leaks.

The trucks sell rather cheaply, but I sure wouldn't want to win the bid, pay for the truck ($3-6K) and then go get it and find out that it doesn't start or the transmission is shot.

Have I missed something about this online bidding?

Thanks, Steve

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you're talking about GovPlanet they do a bit of checking on the vehicle to begin with. They'll tell you if it starts, drives, and stops. That's 99% better than what GL used to do when they were selling rolling stock. Is it still a crapshoot? Sure. But you could wind up with a boat anchor from buying something off eBay and paying to have it shipped just to find out the seller lied to you.

Or you could always buy from the classifieds here.

cavetech

Yes, that's the place I was referring to. They won't let you look over the truck you are interested in.

I've never owned a 5 ton truck. Are they fun to drive?

Thanks, Steve

dilligaf13

The M934 is a beast. Is it an A1 or A2? Look at the member's map on here. There's a couple members in the central Florida area and I'm sure if you ask nicely one might let you drive one of their M939 trucks. Good luck!!

cavetech

I've never used the member's map, but will give it a try.

I don't know which model I will end up with. I'd like a truck with a box in the back suitable for limited camping.

I restored my M1028A2, S250 and M101A2 and enjoyed it. Now I want to sell or trade those vehicles and get a 5 ton, perhaps M934, and correct trailer for it.

P1010001.jpg

I have discovered that I like spray painting military vehicles. It's hard to mess up dull paint!

Thanks, Steve

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you take the standard wheelbase cargo truck as your baseline for comparison, the M934 feels enormous.

The truck tractors really feel nimble and maneuverable in comparison. If you don't need all the additional room of the expansible van, you may want to consider an M109 box on an M931.

As to the auction risk, that where I come in. I take the risk on auction trucks and sell trucks that you can test drive for about $1000 more than the cost of an auction truck.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I'd like a truck with a box in the back suitable for limited camping.
The M934 has the same extended wheelbase as the M927/M928 with a reinforced frame. It has the turning radius of an aircraft carrier and is heavy.

If you take it off road and get it stuck you will have to mortgage the farm to recover it unless you have someone close by with the means to extract you.

It is also tall and taking it off road will mean trimming trees with the top of the box on unimproved roads. You also have to watch for low bridges on any road other than an Interstate.

Shipping it will require a low profile Landol or RGN trailer.

Depending on which engine it has (250 Cummins or 8.3 Cummins) fuel mileage is going to suck. The "Nifty 250" will suck the most. Expect 2-5 MPG with it, downhill with a tailwind.

Both versions of the truck A1 and A2 are underpowered although you can take the 8.3 to a good diesel doctor and get it turned up making sure you do all the mods (air filter, pyrometer, etc.) to keep from melting down a piston. You can turn up the 250 but you do so at your own peril. Unless you are well versed in driving a truck with a warmed up diesel you can easily melt her down.

This truck has the aerodynamics of a concrete block, is geared low and did I mention it is heavy.

All that being said it is a great vehicle when used within it's limits.

A friend of mine and fellow member on here has one that he takes to Hamfests and he says it is the greatest thing since indoor plumbing.

dmetalmiki

Crikey! that changed my considering getting an expansible van..I will stick with my multifuel 70mph, 15 mpg*, M54a2 camper conversion now.
*I always drive at 2000 rpm. (15mpg). and never exceed 55 mph. 16s and careful steady driving = these stats.

Attachments

BenRoberts

Certified insane
I dont have a lot of time in my 923 but it is no hot rod. its slow and under powered (my 5.9 diesel makes 5 times the power) but what time I do have in it was fun. lots of "what the **** is that" looks from people. Like said before great truck if kept within its means.

Smckerigan

I looked over truck from the pictures and the inspection report, and I did some research on problems others have had decided to buy my truck. When I got the truck home and it was all as described. One small problem was in the pictures the windows were both rolled down so the report didn't mention the glass had cracks . I ended up filling a claim and they gave me back $ 200.00 towards Windows. I can say that there reports were spot on as far as the other items.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've had my M925A2 and M923A2 for over two years.
Have driven them almost 3500 miles each.

They are are fun and a beast. You get stared at a lot.
You really have to pay attention when your on the road as other drivers think you can stop as fast as a Kia and will pull right out in front of you.
I have Garmin dash cams in all my trucks.
Like others have said .....don't get it stuck.

Mine gets about 10mpg.
Maint is expensive because there is a lot of truck to maintain.
Some of the replacement parts are hard to find.
If you stay on top of it, the big pricey stuff should last a long time.

They are underpowered for speed but will pull a good sized tree out of the ground.
The low end power is impressive. On mine anyway.

If you can, keep your CUCV setup as those are becoming harder to find in good condition.

I drive my M1008A1 everyday.
5 tons about every other or so.

Good luck

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I bought a M934 out of Ft. Riley a few months back. No issues with it at all other than the general servicing. It is very very slow compared to a normal 5 ton. In fact I removed the box off mine the other day and it nearly leaped into the next county to get out from under it. It may take u awhile to get to 55mph. I removed the 14.00s on mine and put it down to 11.00s. With the 14.00s it stands 12ft to the top of the box. So take in account if you have it shipping it has to go on an RGN trailer. That alone jumps the shipping cost up to 2000$ or so. I removed my box and going to mount it on a trailer for a towing camper.

cavetech

Well ow, I've learned a lot here and have lots of questions. I should do some research and come back here.

It seems that the trucks come in different lengths and even expandable? And different engines?

I don't intend to go off road driving with one. Just for enjoyment, but only a few MPG?

My intent was to try and get one as close to home as possible (Lake City, FL) and drive it home. I did that when I bought my Pinzgauer north of Atlanta.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Well if plan on keeping the van unit on it might as well drop the fuel button a couple and turn it up just a little. If its got super singles knock it down to duals. Itll feel more stable. I paid 2800 for my 934 and it runs great. Just a little naked at the moment

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Im going to try it on a bolster. Its about 3k in trailer weight. The box is 9300lbs. Itll be close to work.