• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M934A1 Expansible Van - Recovery Success!

Bonte

Greetings all,

Just wanted to share a picture of the beast and a quick story about how a forum member saved my entire weekend. Attached is a pic of the 1986 M934A1 Expansible Van shortly after its long trip from Vermont to Maryland! The GL pictures don't do it justice. I'll share more pics when I can.

When I arrived at the site, the GL site contact already had the truck running and ready for us to load out. We did a check of some of the fluids and proceeded to take it off of the base to take a look at it further. Unfortunately, we quickly diagnosed a bad alternator!

My buddy and I thought of ways we could save the weekend and not have to store the truck up in Vermont, we even debated stopping routinely to charge the batteries off of my car and believe it or not, we even tossed around the idea of picking up a 24V charger and a generator and finding a place to strap it to on the truck.

Then I recalled a PM I received from Evil Dr. Porkchop offering help if I needed it. I gave him a call on the very slight chance that he had a working alternator for the 5-Ton. He knew someone that had FOUR of them, not far from the site!

I pulled some cash out and met up with him, we swapped the pulley and soldered on the sender wire. My buddy and I crossed our fingers as we mounted it into the truck, as soon as we started it up we found 29 volts coming out! The rest of the trip went uneventful and smoothly, everything is working on the only exception being the personnel heater blower.

Major kudos to Evil Dr. Porkchop and his family. If it wasn't for their kindness, the truck would still be up in Vermont with a dead alternator.

Also, thanks to many members here who provided information on what to bring and what to do for a successful recovery.

Bonte

Attachments

Last edited:

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great truck, what are you going to do with it?

I love the expanding sides, and would love to see some pictures when you decide to give them a spin. :)

scottjhl

That is awesome! I am glad to hear that it got home without any further problems. I always wanted one of the expando ones, however got talked out of it because it was a 5-ton...

As always interested in what is to become of it!:jumpin:

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bonte I am glad the recovery went well, sometime it sure know people and have resources like this site offers! Beautiful truck and if you have not owned a previous 900 series your going to really like it a LOT!!!
KK

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks