• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M934A2 Camper/RV Build or Bringing Sasquatch to life...

Gunny65

I am still working on the rv. I have made some decent progress but no additional pics. I was Forced to do some landscaping projects by my wife. That did slow it down but didn't stop it. Honey-do's, gotta love them.

TB58

This is an exciting build to watch. I am trying to upgrade to this truck. I was contemplating doing a toy hauler set up. building an internal wall with about 8 feet for the garage and the forward half of the van for living area. the slide outs have been the biggest layout hurdle for figuring it all out.

When you pulled the skins off the walls, you said 400 screws. I thought it was all rivets. Screws would be a bit easier to work with I think, unless they all strip.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I plan on removing the slideout portions in mine... Yeah, you lose some space, but having EVERYTHING accessible is worth it. I also plan on putting in a roof hatch for roof access. I too spent HOURS thinking of a layout that would work with it enclosed AND open, but because of the way the walls fold in/out instead of slide, as you mentioned, it's pretty dang hard. I ended up opting to lose a couple feet, rather than spend an hour opening/closing every time I moved it..

Just some thoughts....

bob599

I am looking to do something similar to your build. I was also really considering loosing the extended wall option. As you said it can make the interior build smaller but permanent. Has anyone looked into the weight savings? Going from memory doesn't the whole box weigh about 7,000lbs? Wonder how much would it shave eliminating all that extra steel?

Great thread subscribed!

Nomadic

I am looking to do something similar to your build. I was also really considering loosing the extended wall option. As you said it can make the interior build smaller but permanent. Has anyone looked into the weight savings? Going from memory doesn't the whole box weigh about 7,000lbs? Wonder how much would it shave eliminating all that extra steel?

Great thread subscribed!
The box is nearly 10,000 lbs. Its in the high 9's.
I'd like to use a M934A2 as a camper too. Been planning on getting one this year :D. What is the impact you have with the expandable feature? I read here the box can be expanded by one guy in 15 minutes. That is quick enough for me. If I can break camp in 1/2hr its all good.

OldDuke6

Just won my first m934 and will soon start this similar project. Would love to see and contribute to some floor plans.
Wait... Tulsa??

Brazen, I read somewhere that you can claim on your taxes the PURCHASE and EXPENSES of owning an RV as a SECOND HOUSEHOLD..

That being said, if it qualifies as a Household/mobile domicile, the upkeep, and equity spent in renovation would almost cover its rebuilding.

Imagine... the refund.. Rebuilding a surplus government vehicle, to get paid by the government... to rebuild it..

grendel

Wait... Tulsa??

Brazen, I read somewhere that you can claim on your taxes the PURCHASE and EXPENSES of owning an RV as a SECOND HOUSEHOLD..

That being said, if it qualifies as a Household/mobile domicile, the upkeep, and equity spent in renovation would almost cover its rebuilding.

Imagine... the refund.. Rebuilding a surplus government vehicle, to get paid by the government... to rebuild it..

That is accurate. I have an RV I am building. Already been through an IRS audit with it. They didn't even blink.

99nouns

Wait... Tulsa??

But is that only if you are making enough money to have a return like that, I mean they are not going to pay you for it will they?

Another Ahab

Wait... Tulsa??

Please don't let the system fool you:

- The deduction and the refund are all a shell-game played with YOUR cash (your hard-earned money).

In these circumstances, Uncle Sam never "pays" you, he only returns the money that was yours to begin with.

It's a clever card-trick, but keep your eyes open, don't let it fool you. :burn::beer:

http://i.imgur.com/G7RQyHp.mp4

My dad once said if he was king every tax would be payed at the end of the year all at one. If that happend there would be a tax revolt. Most people have no clue how much that actually pay.

Csm Davis

Guys I have a expandable trailer and have played with the trucks. I would probably just make only one wall permanent as this will give you the best of both.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

99nouns

I was so hoping to see this. Yeah once you get into the details inside the box it is a snail mail, but congrats you got the box.

So how are you going to seal between the drivers cab and your box extension? What is your strategy for compensating the movement between the cab and the box?

Thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks